water heater gas consumption

toyota222

I drive an '89 Sunrader 6 cylinder. The water heater is ignited by a switch located near the stove and oven. I switched it on for a shower and by the time I used it (15-20 minutes?), I could have made coffee with the hot water! Do these units have a thermostat, or do you just fire them until the water seems hot enough? I looked at the unit outside, but didn't notice a thermostat that gauged temperature. Anyone figured this thing out? It would be nice to have a constant water temperature, or am I asking for too much? thanks...

Some have an adjustment and some do not. Mine did not and I had the same problem, way to hot. So I did a google and found a guy who had the same problem He went down to Home Depot and purchased an adjustable themo switch for a home wh. I did the same, modified it and adjusted it to where I wanted and no more scalding water. Originally I thought my sensor was bad so I bought a new one, still had 140 degree water, the home depot one cost under 10 bucks. Some where there is another thread where I had posted a link to the HD one Wait here is the link http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Water-Heaters-Water-Heater-Parts/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xglZbqol/R-100116468/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Thanks, Greg. I'm under the impression that an electric igniter nullifies the need for a pilot flame. In my mind, a pilot flame (similar to the refrigerator's flame that heats the ammonia / freon) would provide a tempering agent to keep 6 gallons of hot water warm to a degree (no pun intended), and at least slow the cooling process. So I guess this is an either/or situation. It's just when I switch that water tank igniter to re-heat and hear the turbo WHOOSH of propane being fired, I think there should be a more efficient way. The thermo switch sounds like a good idea, but the modification sounds a bit hazy. If you have time, could you post some pics? It sounds interesting... thanks!

Your home water heater is on or off. So your toyota is no different. You will have just to the turbo sound of your $$ heating water when you don't need it. :ranting2:

Thanks, Greg. I'm under the impression that an electric igniter nullifies the need for a pilot flame. In my mind, a pilot flame (similar to the refrigerator's flame that heats the ammonia / freon) would provide a tempering agent to keep 6 gallons of hot water warm to a degree (no pun intended), and at least slow the cooling process. So I guess this is an either/or situation. It's just when I switch that water tank igniter to re-heat and hear the turbo WHOOSH of propane being fired, I think there should be a more efficient way. The thermo switch sounds like a good idea, but the modification sounds a bit hazy. If you have time, could you post some pics? It sounds interesting... thanks!

I know I tool some pics but cannot find them. Basically there is a clip that holds the original thermostat against the tank. The home depot thermostat will fit into the clip with some modification. My thermo is on the inside near the control box. Silver and plactic (see attatchment) with 2 wires about the size of a half dollar. My WH is a suburban and the thermo is non adjustable. Atwood WH's though do have an adjustable thermostat kit.

Your home water heater is on or off. So your toyota is no different. You will have just to the turbo sound of your $$ heating water when you don't need it. :ranting2:

Yes its on or off but controlled by a thermostat of some sort.

Too bad it never became standard practice to use the waste engine heat to heat the 'home's water. Free energy I like!

Some RV water heaters have connections with a heat exchanger internally which connects to the engines cooling system and heats the water while the engine is running.

post-1-001506700 1290821730_thumb.jpg