I understand that due to the amount of wind resistance no matter how much gas you give the motor these rigs simply cannot accelerate in overdrive pass lets say 57 (at least mine unless drafting an eighteen wheeler). Therefore I'm concluding that this is when the converters most likely slip the most while trying to maintain the rig at highway speeds. Am I right or wrong? This leads me to my next question.

Does the converter slip a lot during in town cruising speeds of 45-50mph? If I'm easy on the gas pedal, am I really causing my transmission to heat up by using overdrive around town? What got me wondering is when I read on the forum that several members have ridden long distances at slower speed while heading towards Alaska. They claimed to have attained close to 20mpg.

The higher the gear the more likely it is to slip when it's pushed as in trying to beat the clock on the highway. They slip when you take off from a stand still they slip when you are sitting still it's normal. If you are trying to make it hot the best way to do it is on the highway trying to do 70. The only thing I own that is automatic is the MH I don't think I have ever owned an automatic (funny though I worked on transmissions for years) so I drive the MH as it were a stick I do use O/D but shift it out if I feel it straining at all. If you are on flat ground, light foot on the gas O/D is not an issue even at 50 mph. If you want to get 20 mpg get an 18' stick shift toss as much junk as you can out empty the water tanks never carry more then 1/2 tank of gas and don't exceed 50 mph.