Strange problem with electrical

srfhappy

I fixed a tail light last night on my 1981 sunrader by running a jumper from my good tail light to my bad one.

first I accidently crossed the wires and when I turned the tail lights on my license plate light did not work.

Then I jumped only the hot wire and now everything works.

With ac pluggen in, dc system works.

without ac dc system is dead.

crap what did I do?

Thank you kindly for your time.

If it is the original converter /charger they had two circuits in them one charged the battery and the other lit the lights. When it was in charge mode (plugged in) it turned off the path to the battery that lit the lights and switched to converter power and charged the battery at the same time. Now when you unplugged it, it is supposed switch back over to the battery but the relay contacts some times stick together and it fails to switch the result being no lights. I can’t help you with the wiring because I don’t know what you have for a converter but if you lose power to the fuse panel after the MH is unplugged it’s a good bet the relay is stuck and it is inside of the converter/charger. If you find that to be your problem now would be a good time to up grade the converter the old ones were pretty hard on batteries.

Look for a circuit breaker on the main positive line from the battery. If you have one it will be a small box, smaller than a match box. They are supposed to be auto reset but sometimes they just die. With the sunrader mine was only accessible through the closet. It was mounted on the back side of the battery box. I have no idea where your will be but you can bet its close to the battery.

I think i am going to just upgrade the converter except I don't have the funds right now....Anyone know a reasonably priced one i could put it in...it is located in the rear on the passenger side of the floor under the table....thanks always...you folks are really cool.

Here is a link to the 7300ru that I have used in our past Sunrader and now Gulfstream. I am 100% happy with it. The price reflected in the sale price seems like that's the street price so you might do a search and see if anyone has them cheaper. The 7300ru is a direct replacement for the 6300, fits right in the box and takes a couple of hours to install.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-converters/55-8884.htm

Well I hope your solution is simple like a dirty contact . Mine wasn't, with the same problem symptom (coach worked with land line but battery refused to charge up----.

so the nasty expensive thing was to get a whole new converter and have a shop set it up.