DuroPower generators are sold only online at www.duropower.com

I found DuroPower while searching for low noise generators. Prices are about half of what the competition charges. Recently while on their site I noticed an ad for the DP1250i a 1250 watt inverter type generator. For $199 with shipping. One catch though, actually two. Ad states "No return, no refund, no exchange. Not For Sale In California" . I gave them a call and verified that they can not be sold in California. Here is the link to the genset http://www.duropower...8&FID=1&level=0 The ad claims 58 dba at about 22 feet distance. Well I decided to give an online order a chance. I figured no warranty was no big deal, I was going to buy something that was used anyhow for allot more money. Why not get something new even if there is no warranty right? So I ordered one online, it went through even though I am definitely in California. I got an email from sales asking to verify that I understood that it was "No return, no refund, no exchange". I decided to give them a call and asked exactly what "No return, no refund, no exchange" meant and what was I buying. I was informed that these units had a carburetor problem and had been shipped back to the factory for repair and had the carburetors replaced. I was told that each unit was tested there at DuroPower before shipping out to a customer and that it would arrive on my doorstep 100% operational but it would be blue and not red. I'm still in California guys. Few days later I got my new small compact generator. Pulled it out of the box and began my inspection along with the manual. Here is this switch and that one and this warning light etc. But where is the choke lever. I see the port in the case but no lever in site. WTF??

There is a large access panel on the side where you have access to the oil cap, dipstick etc. So I am looking around inside with a flashlight and there is the choke lever. I eventually retrieve it only to realize that it is broken off with no way to really repair it. Just a little nub sticking out of the top of the carburetor. Enough that I can actually turn it and operate the choke. I put oil in the little bugger and some gas and manipulate the broken choke and flip on the run switch. About 20 start pulls later I realize there is a flashing light every time I yank on the rope. Turns out its the low oil warning light. But its activated the shut down circuit and the engine will not start. I will not abbreviate my words here this time. Just guess. Well, not much to see through the hatch cover. I double check the oil level and it looks good. Well maybe a wire is loose.

I disassemble the case in order to find out whats up. I have to pull the control panel out to get everything apart. I don't find any loose wires but several are so loose that they come apart or off their terminals really easily. A bit of repair and reconditioning, fingers crossed.... warning light still flashing and no start.

I find the low oil sensor on the bottom of the engine and disconnect its only wire. The motor fires right up and runs. Until it chokes out. A few more trys and I keep it running.

Its kinda loud though. I put the case all back together and proceed to do another test run. I have to start it with the access panel off so I can operate the choke nub. I get it running and put the access panel back on which does make it a little quieter. Right then my wife gets home and says "That's supposed to be quiet?" yelling those words so that I can hear her.

I contacted DuroPower the next day via email letting them know of the problems and that I was going to do this review and that good customer relations will weigh heavily in their favor. I got an email back right away stating that the replacement parts were being sent out FedEx. I waited in anticipation.

Parts arrived. Wrong parts. Not even close. My email to them today with a picture showing the parts they sent me and the parts I actually need has gone unanswered. Perhaps tomorrow will see a response.

I did do a test with the generator running some lights and a jig saw. The jigsaw caused an overload several times but mostly would run. It ran the light fine, a small fluorescent (12 watt) and a 250 watt halogen work light. The unit has a power down mode where it will drop rpms depending on load. The small fluorescent allowed the generator to run at a very low rpm and it was fairly quiet and the voltage steady at 116 volts. Voltage stayed steady at all rpms. But with the 250 watt halogen it ran at full speed and was fairly loud. Much louder than the eu1000i or eu2000i Honda's.

I will post some images of it tomorrow and any further response from DuroPower.

Attatched is a photo of the choke lever that was broken off. Its shaft is less than 1/4 inch and plastic. Not sure if I can ever repair it as it broke off almost flush with the carb. The pic also shows the replacement choke lever DuroPower sent me. The broken one apears to be an exstremly fragile and easy to break.

Here is a link to some other sob stories about DuroPower customer service.

http://www.ripoffrep.../DuroPower.aspx

Addition update Aug 19

I did get a response from DuroPower and they have offered to send out a complete carburetor. Guess they can not get just the choke lever. I was asked to send a picture of the sensor so that it could be identified. Leaving on a 10 day trip Sunday so I hope I can get it apart and photograph it.

Update Aug 27

I am running the little beast to do a charge on my batteries. Been running for about 1/2 an hour. Its running OK but I do hear it moving around a bit in rpm. Nothing serious though. Every once in awhile it will have a miss. I am at sea level with cold damp air so it should be developing horsepower with ease. So far its AOK. I'll walk around and see how it sounds around the campground. Its actually fairly quiet 30 feet away and beyond. Noy as quiet as a Honda 2000 but tolerable.

Update May 2011

Got the new carb but never got it installed. Still in the drawer. Never addressed the oil sensor. So I am probably SOL on that. Looking at the new carb indeed the chock lever can not be replaced. All in all for $199 I am happy with it.

Re-check this post as I will edit it instead of adding a new post with my additions. I am not done yet!

post-1-12822371955592_thumb.jpg

Wow Greg that sucks I would guess the not for sale in CA to be emission regulations. I'm guessing this is right from China is it really an inverter generator or is that a lie too? I bought a little 1500 watt China built generator from a big box auto parts store a few years ago ($180) and it's a perfect copy of a Honda engine other then crud in the fuel tank it has been a great little generator does not sound like any one has a Duro power generator that runs for more then a few minutes. Good luck I think I would get a hold of the CA emission dept. and report that they are selling non compliant generators of course that won't help you getting yours running but it may close them down before they can sell more defective units.

Wow Greg that sucks I would guess the not for sale in CA to be emission regulations. I'm guessing this is right from China is it really an inverter generator or is that a lie too? I bought a little 1500 watt China built generator from a big box auto parts store a few years ago ($180) and it's a perfect copy of a Honda engine other then crud in the fuel tank it has been a great little generator does not sound like any one has a Duro power generator that runs for more then a few minutes. Good luck I think I would get a hold of the CA emission dept. and report that they are selling non compliant generators of course that won't help you getting yours running but it may close them down before they can sell more defective units.

My guess is you are correct on emissions. CA is a bit tight in that way. It is an inverter generator as it will run at idle and produce a steady 116 volts. As for noise it might be possible to line the shell with some sound proofing and reduce some of the noise. My guess is they have sold hundreds upon hundreds of generators and only a few complaints have gotten posted on the Internet and maybe there are hundred and hundreds of satisfied customers. The BBB has a file on them but I was unable to pull it up due to BBB server errors. Mine runs without the low oil sensor protecting the engine its just hard to get it started with the broken choke. I did notice that when a heavy current demand is turned on the governor tends to over react. Not sure how much of it is electronic. When I get back from our trip I will have time to really take it apart and see how it all tics.

Still awhile to see how it all plays out so keep checking the first post for updates.

• 8 months later...