Today I replaced the steering stabilizer on my 92 Dolphin v6. The old one was really shot....it had no resistance at all and was the OE unit. I took it for a long ride down the freeway and on the return I noticed the engine would bog down when I made a turn and then accelerated. This has never happened before. Is there any reason the new stabilizer could cause this to happen? It appears to have something to do when I turn. Going straight doesn't present any problems. When I had some recent work done at the Toyota dealership, I asked the mechanic about this apparatus that is on the fender well under the hood behind the battery. It had some vacuum lines going to it. Mine was destroyed as the previous owner had a battery blow up and made quite a mess in that area under the hood. Anyway, the mechanic asked if I had any problems when turning and I said no. He said not to worry about the destroyed part then. Now I'm wondering if this new stabilizer and the new resistance in the steering makes the missing part critical. This part looked like some sort of valve with what looked like an adjusting knob and a little air filter on it. It was hard to tell as the part was pretty well melted. Anyway, if anyone has info that could help me I would certainly appreciate it.

Today I replaced the steering stabilizer on my 92 Dolphin v6. The old one was really shot....it had no resistance at all and was the OE unit. I took it for a long ride down the freeway and on the return I noticed the engine would bog down when I made a turn and then accelerated. This has never happened before. Is there any reason the new stabilizer could cause this to happen? It appears to have something to do when I turn. Going straight doesn't present any problems. When I had some recent work done at the Toyota dealership, I asked the mechanic about this apparatus that is on the fender well under the hood behind the battery. It had some vacuum lines going to it. Mine was destroyed as the previous owner had a battery blow up and made quite a mess in that area under the hood. Anyway, the mechanic asked if I had any problems when turning and I said no. He said not to worry about the destroyed part then. Now I'm wondering if this new stabilizer and the new resistance in the steering makes the missing part critical. This part looked like some sort of valve with what looked like an adjusting knob and a little air filter on it. It was hard to tell as the part was pretty well melted. Anyway, if anyone has info that could help me I would certainly appreciate it.

No help from anyone?

Wish I could help. Any chance of getting the mechanic to identify the 'apparatus' in question. I'm having a hard time imagining what this damaged system has to do with your power steering, unless it's some sort of vacuum controlled system designed to stop the engine bogging down when the power steering pump is required to do some work. But why changing the steering damper would suddenly change things baffles me.

Derek,

Don't know why it was doing this but that next morning if filled the gas tank up and it stopped doing it...I guess it wasn't related to the steering stabilizer at all, it's just that it started to do this right after the install and test ride. I'm at a loss but hoping it won't happen anymore. Thanks for your input.

Could be that when you turn a vacuum hose sways and if it has a crack the crack opens up and throws off your vacuum.

Isn't the battery on the passenger side and the cruse control actuator on the drivers side?

Here are two pics, one showing the cruise control and the other (red circle) is the idle up control for when you turn on the A/C. Any leaking vacuum line is an important item to fix.

post-1-12820107768429_thumb.jpg

post-1-12820108063_thumb.jpg

Here is a closeup of the idle up. Your going to want to get the whole assembly from the wrecker, about a million bucks from the toyota dealer. Believe it or not my rig did not have it installed. My original A/C was after market. Long story shortened I put toyota factory air in and had to find that part at the junkers. It actually came out of a 4runner. There are a bunch of hoses so you need to make sure you get them all and before you remove them from the donor make a map / drawing of where they go.

post-1-12820116885719_thumb.jpg

Here is a closeup of the idle up. Your going to want to get the whole assembly from the wrecker, about a million bucks from the toyota dealer. Believe it or not my rig did not have it installed. My original A/C was after market. Long story shortened I put toyota factory air in and had to find that part at the junkers. It actually came out of a 4runner. There are a bunch of hoses so you need to make sure you get them all and before you remove them from the donor make a map / drawing of where they go.

Yes, that's the piece i was talking about. Mine has a lot of damage from the battery exploding as I mentioned above. The screw part is completely melted but I do believe the vacuum hoses are still connected. There is a little, what looks like air filter or something, that is also attached to it and is damaged. I guess I'll be making a trip to the junkyard.