yakima top mount

sman

hi y'all, Does anyone know the construction of the roof structure of an 1987 coachman body? I want to install yakima top mount brackets to the top of my toy to schlep my canoe. I am a contractor so i can waterproof those babies no problem i just cant find info on the construction of the roof assembly. any info is helpful. thanks, sman

There is a previous post here from somebody who put a Yakima rack on his roof. It's under general discussion and titled 'new winnebago warrior owner in Michigan' from benbraymer posted Dec 24. 2009. Just put 'yakima' in the search box and you will find it.

Howdy sman,

I would hope you have some steel or aluminum joists spanning your roof. When I peeled back the roof on my 91 seabreeze, I was surprised to find 1" X 2" heavy steel tubing @ about 3' on center. These things could have held up the Taj Mahal ,except for the fact they are attached to 1" thick, vertical styrofoam sandwich with 1" X1" wood top plate. I agree with Derek, try to find something substantial to attach to and stay near the walls. Add some span bracing to help hold the rig together and prevent sagging. Best of luck on your project.

seabreezer