Dometic rm2400 works on propane but not AC

Hi fellow rv'ers. I have a 1986 Toyota Dolphin with a Dometic rm2400 fridge. Been using it on AC as the spark from the ignitor wasn't strong enough to light the burner. Before a recent trip I found I could manually light the burner and then the fride worked great on propane. However when we got to our destination we wanted to run the fridge off AC. So I hooked up to AC and switched the control on the Dometic from gas to electric. The next morning we were going to have some cereal and got the milk out of the fridge and quickly noticed the milk wasn't real cold. We had ice in the freezer and it was pretty much melted. I checked to be sure there was AC available where the fridge was plugged in and the was 120 volts AC present. The Ac option has always worked fine up until running it on propane and switching back to AC. Any one have any thoughts on this? Thanks, Vic.

The control knob that switches from ac to gas may have gone kookoo on you. I usually switch it in and out several times just to make sure the contacts actually connect. A bad heating element could also be the case. Some testing might be needed first, such as verifying that you have 120 volts where the element connects. You should be able to find the wires and with a tester and the thermostat set to cold max actually see if there is voltage there. If there is then you know the rest.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi fellow rv'ers. I have a 1986 Toyota Dolphin with a Dometic rm2400 fridge. Been using it on AC as the spark from the ignitor wasn't strong enough to light the burner. Before a recent trip I found I could manually light the burner and then the fride worked great on propane. However when we got to our destination we wanted to run the fridge off AC. So I hooked up to AC and switched the control on the Dometic from gas to electric. The next morning we were going to have some cereal and got the milk out of the fridge and quickly noticed the milk wasn't real cold. We had ice in the freezer and it was pretty much melted. I checked to be sure there was AC available where the fridge was plugged in and the was 120 volts AC present. The Ac option has always worked fine up until running it on propane and switching back to AC. Any one have any thoughts on this? Thanks, Vic.

Being relatively new to these type refers, I've had the same problems and talked to a local RV place that started with the basics. Check to see it's plugged in thru the exterior access panel and then check that the GFI switch, mine is in the bathroom is reset. Other than that, good luck and let us know what it was.