Hi folks,

Looks like Im now able to sign on. I need advice on 22R vs 22RE. Im looking at a 1985 21 ft Sunrader with a 22R engine

and 4 speed stick. Can anyone tell me how it will perform in the mountains and fuel consumption. Been looking for a sunrader

for over a year,hoping to find a later model with fuel injection, and preferably an 18 footer.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

camp12

Glad you're online, finally.

I can't offer an expert opinion, having never driven either version of the 4 cylinder, but from what I've read, you'll probably get as much performance out of the 22R/4sp as a 22RE/Auto. And better fuel economy with the 4sp. The 22RE/4sp seems to be a very rare combo.

What part of the Continent are you located?

Hi camp12,

My 18 foot 1981 Sunrader 4cyl stick, averaged 18.5mpg on a 3400 round road trip to Idaho a few weeks ago which included some pretty steep climbs. (There were some pretty cool soaring downhill coasts too). I loved being in control of down shifting as the rpms felt the grade. Optimum speed is dependent on the grade and wind direction, but 55 seems to be the sweet spot. Little rolling sanctuary of cosmosity.

Not sure how 3 more feet of house would affect those numbers though.

Happy Hunting.

shanda

I can't offer an expert opinion, having never driven either version of the 4 cylinder, but from what I've read, you'll probably get as much performance out of the 22R/4sp as a 22RE/Auto. And better fuel economy with the 4sp. The 22RE/4sp seems to be a very rare combo.

Im in California. I presently have a Eurovan full camper with 5 cyl 5 speed and really like the control it gives for

steep mountain grades, especially down hill as its a bit underbraked for its weight. Also a bit small for long trips.

I have had 2 cars and the VW with fuel injection and believe they all perform better at altitude but cant seem to find

a fuel injected 4 cyl rader with manual trans.

I just read one of the posts re 18 ft vs 21. I have been looking for an 18 ft. but maybe it would be a bit too small.

At least it would be a step up from the VW plus toilet and shower would be real good.

Thanks Shanda for the info on your 18 footer. Shorter =lighter so better milage I would think. With the price of gas,

economy is a factor to be weighed as well as comfort.

Im in California. I presently have a Eurovan full camper with 5 cyl 5 speed and really like the control it gives for

steep mountain grades, especially down hill as its a bit underbraked for its weight. Also a bit small for long trips.

I have had 2 cars and the VW with fuel injection and believe they all perform better at altitude but cant seem to find

a fuel injected 4 cyl rader with manual trans.

I just read one of the posts re 18 ft vs 21. I have been looking for an 18 ft. but maybe it would be a bit too small.

At least it would be a step up from the VW plus toilet and shower would be real good.

Thanks Shanda for the info on your 18 footer. Shorter =lighter so better milage I would think. With the price of gas,

economy is a factor to be weighed as well as comfort.

We originally owned a Sunrader 18 footer 4x4 turbo. My wife and I found it a bit crowded. In fact she hated it. I eventually modified the dinette table into a half table just so that I could sit and put my socks and shoes on otherwise there was no room to bend over between the table and cabinets. Kept the bar of soap on a rope when taking showers because if you dropped the soap it was a big problem. The shower toilet combo is tight. Also the shower dumps into the black water tank which is only 8 gallons. I eventually disconnected the shower from the tank and would run it into a 5 gal bucket outside. We moved into a 21 foot Gulfstream Conquest with the common floorplan a pull out couch / bed on the drivers side and a dinette shorty bed on the passenger side, the kitchen area on the drivers side past the couch, the refer past the dinette and the separate toilet and shower and closet in the rear (still a bit tight but at least the toilet is not in the shower) and there is a bathroom sink. The closet is twice the size of the 18 foot sunrader. Having the couch is a most wonderful thing. When someone is cooking the other can enter and flop on the couch or sit at the table without having to squeeze by the cook as in the 18 footer. Only thing I miss about the Sunrader is the 4 wheel drive. As for 4 speed vs auto my preference is the auto with a V6. I use 2nd gear all the time on steep descent. Also the V6 auto has a locking torque converter and the 4cyl does not. The FI will have more horsepower than the carb. As a note out 18 foot sunrader fully loaded for a 1 week trip weighed in at 6800 pounds. It did have a 26 gal tank and 4x4 running gear but still that's not light weight.

• 1 month later...

I drove my 1983 22R 4speed Sunrader back from OR to TX at elevations of up to 8800' on I-80. I was concerned about the carb but it performed flawlessly. Worst fuel tank was 12.9mpg and this was not in the biggest mountains. It was coming across Utah and Idaho with a strong headwind. Keep in mind I was unloaded but never fell below 45-50mph. Would I prefer an injected 22RE? Sure. Most Japanese carburetors are very stout, offer great performance and last forever. The biggest benefit of injection for me is the quicker starting after sitting for long periods and pretty much eliminates the gas evaporating and leaving behind varnish when sitting.

• 4 weeks later...

Hope its not too late to offer some insight. I have the 87 22R and a 86 22RE (yes the older one has EFI), the carb is bulletproof, but with all the mechanical parts it is more likely to fail causing hard starting warm, and I have to 'prime' it for cold starting. The choke on the carb helps, but the engine will bog if its 'cold', the EFI will run right away - obviously its better to let it warm up a bit, but just for comparison sake. I had a performance carb for a while, different jets, saw little difference between that and stock, might have given it the same HP as the EFI, sold it to my neighbor who was looking for one. 

I think its a lot like the preference to get an auto/manual trans, its about comfort, with the EFI it starts everytime without a problem and is very simple to operate. Stick and Carb are bulletproof and easier (less money) to repair. Both will serve you well. 

• 1 month later...