Charge and Brake light both on together

mohop

Hello everyone. I have a 1986 Toyota Dolphin that has the Charge and Brake light coming on and then going off. There a relay clicks when they go on and a relay clicks when they go off. They do this together. The emergency brake is not on. The battery connections seem okay. The rv brakes okay. Now they both just stay on all the time. Bad relay maybe? Any one else here ever see this?

The click you are hearing may be the self-resetting circuit breaker fail and reset.

After I had replaced the battery isolator, I found that the breaker installed on the fender wall would pop if I had a large load on the alternator (coach battery low on startup, lights on, etc.) Both dash lights would illuminate, and would stay on, even after the breaker had reset and I had full power. Shutting off the engine would reset the lights.

If I had low batteries I would have to disconnect the coach battery and/or turn off the lights, until the chassis battery stopped sucking amps. Then, pull over and re-connect the coach battery, so it could charge.

My solution was to stop using that breaker. Or actually only using one side, as a terminal block for the two wires.

I was not able to come up with a good reason to leave this breaker in the system. My standard alternator is putting out up to 65 amps on the test stand. Having a breaker here, prior to the isolator, limiting the output, makes no sense to me. The original breaker was a 30 amp breaker, and I tried a 50 amp breaker (largest I could find locally) before giving up. Sunrader put a 50 amp breaker prior to the coach battery, but that has not ever popped, to my knowledge.

If I am being stupid, electrically, Please Somebody educate me!

Thanks.

John

You may have a charging issue they both come on together if it stops charging. The clicking you hear might be the charge light relay.

You may have a charging issue they both come on together if it stops charging. The clicking you hear might be the charge light relay.

It's been doing this for a couple weeks now. It did stop for 3-4 days and now starting today the brake/charge lights just stay on. The coach battery seems fully charged. Thanks for the input so far though. Gives me stuff to look at. =)

It's been doing this for a couple weeks now. It did stop for 3-4 days and now starting today the brake/charge lights just stay on. The coach battery seems fully charged. Thanks for the input so far though. Gives me stuff to look at. =)

Turns out I have a blown alternator. =( Oh well, better I found it now than on the road.