1985 Toyota Escaper

Day tripper

Hi Jeff,

That's a tough one. The short answer is that its worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but that doesn't help you much.

I've heard that 80's Toyota motorhomes are approximately worth the last digit of the year in thousands. Tha'td make an '85 worth about $5000. I don't know if that's still considered accurate, but its not a bad place to start. From there I'd add, maybe $1000 for the very low mileage. I'd add another $500-1000 if it was a Sunrader (which its not) 'cause they seem to be in higher demand than other brands.

Past that, its impossible to say without taking a close look at it. Does it have the correct six-lug rear axle? If not, deduct $1500 or so to replace it. Need tires? Subtract another $600 or so. Do all the appliances work? If not, subtract the replacement cost. For example, a new 3-way fridge costs about $800. Any leaks or water damage? Subtract the cost of repairs. Those will be hard to estimate without tearing it apart, but could run into the $1000's. Any other repairs needed? Subtract for them.

It all comes down to condition. If its in excellent shape and needs very little work, I'd guess its worth about $6000. If its in need of lots of repairs, it could be worth next to nothing.

Are you buying or selling? If you're buying, take your time and find a rig that's been well cared for. If you're selling, be realistic about your rig's condition and price it accordingly. In either case, you're unlikely to come out ahead on repairs.

Brad

84 Sunrader 180RD

FtC CO

I'm looking for the actual cash value of a 1985 Toyota Escaper in good condition with 33,500 miles.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

I have a 1985 New Horizon...quite comparable to yours. I got mine off Ebay with 29,000 mi on her. He was asking $4k and I got him to $3200 because it didn't have a 6 lug axle. It DID have the 5 Lug upgrade, however, and that was just fine for me as these have no reported problems. He didn't know that though, so I got him to knock $800 off because of the axle. As he was a shifty used car dealer, I felt no guilt about that.

1985 was a key year as that's when Toyota, due to recall pressures, started retrofitting the old 5 lug or putting on new 6 lugs. Some made earlier in the year though still squeezed through and were never upgraded.

My Engine purrs like a kitten even after the 4K miles cross-country I've put on, and the low miles was probably the biggest selling point for me... after I knew the axle would be OK to drive cross country with a motorbike on the back.

Of course, I've put in at least 2K in upgraded interior, paint, drawers, solar& wind power, inverter, batteries, etc. but that was by choice. I hear the rear kitchen layout (rear door) is in higher demand. After that, it just comes down to condition of interior, and to a lesser degree, the paint.

By the way, the upgraded 5 lug looks as follows...

post-2665-12750526035786_thumb.jpg

If you don't have at least this, or a six-lug...I'd be surprised to see you get over 3K for it from someone who knows about this issue.

Cheers Mate!

it didn't have a 6 lug axle. It DID have the 5 Lug upgrade, however, and that was just fine for me as these have no reported problems. Cheers Mate!

Here is a link to the axle Facts http://www.toyotamotorhome.org/classifieds/images/Axle_FAQ.pdf which does mention the 5 lug upgraded axle. Personally I would still consider upgrading to the 6 lug. Toyota dropped the heavy duty 5 lug for a reason what ever it might be.

Here is a link to the axle Facts http://www.toyotamot...es/Axle_FAQ.pdf which does mention the 5 lug upgraded axle. Personally I would still consider upgrading to the 6 lug. Toyota dropped the heavy duty 5 lug for a reason what ever it might be.

I agree...especially with the #4oo motorbike I'm hauling! If I can find a cheap 6 lug axle, I will def switch it out. For now, I just run with my rear tanks empty, and all my heavy stuff up front in the passenger compartment.

FWIW, the upgraded 5 lug was just a stop gap fix, till Toyota could get enough 6 lug axles to replace the old ones. By the time the decision-making went through their bureaucracy a year later, I'm sure they just said.. 'Screw it, for lawsuit purposes all motor home chassis will be shipped with 6 lugs."

However, I haven't heard of any upgraded 5 lugs failing yet, and I probably overload mine more than any other Toyo owner I've seen. I still check my hubs all the time for excess heat when I stop, just out of habit! Hopefully, I will run into a good 6 lug axle soon so I can buy some peace of mind, but so far the upgrades are running like a champ. I would have ZERO worries with them in a normal setup with no extra weight on the back.