Sunrader tires -- what size & where can I get them?

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to retrieve my sunrader from another city, but before I get there, I want to order new tires for it, as I know they are an unusual size and it may take some time to find them. Can anyone tell me what size I need to order? I can't check because I don't have my Sunrader with me. I have a 20' (or is it 21'), 1983 Sunrader, 22r with dual wheels on the back. The wheels on front are a different size than the ones on the back. Anyone know what size the wheels are, and where I can get them for a good price?

Much Thanks,

Gray

Hi Gray,

Congratulations on your new Sunrader. Post some pictures when you can.

The wheels are usually 14"x5". Not sure what you mean about the front and back being a different size. They're usually all the same. Being an '83 it would have come with the problematic 5-lug rear axle. Has your's been upgraded? If not, you should plan to do so.

The standard tire size for almost all Toyota campers is 185R14C. They should be 8-ply rated load range D tires. The C at the end may or may not appear. It stands for Commercial, not the load range. Also note that there is no aspect ratio like /75 or /70 specified.

Tires that size are not commonly stocked most places but are available. A few you might look for are the Yokohama Y356, Hankook RA08, or Nexen SV820. My local Discount Tire store said they could get me the Yokohama for about $100 each mounted and the Hankook for a little less. If you want to order on line, tirerack.com has the Yokohama. Tires-easy.com has a bunch of different brands in that size.

Brad

84 Sunrader 180RD

FtC CO

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to retrieve my sunrader from another city, but before I get there, I want to order new tires for it, as I know they are an unusual size and it may take some time to find them. Can anyone tell me what size I need to order? I can't check because I don't have my Sunrader with me. I have a 20' (or is it 21'), 1983 Sunrader, 22r with dual wheels on the back. The wheels on front are a different size than the ones on the back. Anyone know what size the wheels are, and where I can get them for a good price?

Much Thanks,

Gray

• 11 months later...

I read "somewhere" that - if the aspect ratio is not given on the tire - it is 82. So the 185R14C is the correct size (front and back) and the aspect ratio is 82.

I found the 195 / 75 R14 to be close enough as long as you are changing all on the back or both on the front - they are easyier to find.

Mine came to me with "brand new" 195-75 R 14's. Unfortunately I did not know about the load range "D" thing until a week later.

These were car tires, one ply rated as 2 ply. I got some "Thunderer's" 8 ply 185R14C.@ Les Schwab (north western dealer).

The car tires are flat dangerous, they waddle around with 35 PSI. The 185R14C get pumped up to 65 PSI and are made to carry the load you have.

I believe that you are correct about the aspect ratio of the 185R14C tires being approximately 82. While 195/75R14 passenger car tires are certainly easier to find, they are more than an inch smaller in diameter and are unlikely to have an adequate load rating for an RV. In some cases, the sidewalls of wider tires have been know to touch when they're used as duals, leading to failures. I'd strongly recommend making the effort to find the correct size with a Load Range D rating. They're out there.

I read "somewhere" that - if the aspect ratio is not given on the tire - it is 82. So the 185R14C is the correct size (front and back) and the aspect ratio is 82.

I found the 195 / 75 R14 to be close enough as long as you are changing all on the back or both on the front - they are easyier to find.

tirerack.com right now has the yokahama Y356 listed @ $92.oo they have other chouces as well,some less money ,some more money,both C & D ratings. C rating slightly cheaper. Don