That’s big bucks for not a lot of gain. In order to get a lot of power you would/should do a lot of things other then bolt on the turbo. 7 lbs is not a lot of boost but yes it puts extra stress on your engine your engine has too much compression for a turbo to run much more then 7 lbs and that maybe too much, spark knock is an issue and hi test would be mandatory. Your turbo will be running full tilt at highway speeds and it is not water cooled like a Toyota equipped with a turbo so oil coking is a problem cool downs before shut down would be necessary. Synthetic oil a must a turbo needs oil instantly so something like 5-40 would be in order. Toyota made turbo charged 22RE’s but they were propose built lower compression, water cooling, remapped ECU and fuel rate. Would it give you more power yes but at what cost.

I did this upgrade. Total cost about 5 grand. As Maineah stated, you will need to upgrade the ecm, the injectors , and exhaust to fully develope the horsepower. I run 5 - 6 pounds of boost. Runs at about 1300 degrees of exhaust temp going down the road.I also run premium gas, which I wouldn't have to if I had installed the lower compression ratio pistons instead of stock. I am pleased with the upgrades performance. I get about 13 - 14 miles per gallon at a decent performance level.

You might consider finding a turbo truck as a donor. The OEM turbos are known to have heat build up issues but a larger down tube and exhaust will help that a bunch and increase HP. If you do use a donor truck there is always the option of an aftermarket turbo. I have a friend who has done it. Its not straight forward, definitely not plug and play but if you really want some performance gain a blueprinted turbo engine and aftermarket turbo is the way to go. I think he is running around 9 pounds of boost. Here is the link to the yahoo turbo truck group, the Toyota turbo truck experts! http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/22RTE-Trucks/