Elecrical problem all accept Fridge

The kid

Heyeverybody,

I have a problem with my Itasca Spirit, Last summer when driving there was ashort circuit where wire burnt out. Since then I have done the followingto try to fix:

Traced burnt out wires and replaced burnt out sections.

Removed burnt out fuse housing and replaced with new strong housing

Topped up electrolyte and continually maintained battery at home with charger

All interior lights, the heater, water pump, extractor fan don't work. I amconfident that the fridge is on a separate circuit than the other appliances.

I have tried to fix the problem and found a house electrician to have a lookafter testing different things he claimed that there was a resistance somewherethat was stopping it working although he could not find it.

He recommend I take it to an auto electrician who also could not find theproblem he suggested that all the wire need to be replaced and that would cost1,500 for two days work.

Now maybe I have made a mistake not traced back a wire far enough and there isstill a problem on the wire although I would like to think that the electricianwould find this problem easier. The electrician did know that I am a beginner.

Unfortunately I live in Switzerlandand things are expensive here in comparison to back home in the US.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Danny

Danny,

It's been a long time since you posted. I had hoped that you had got your problem fixed. Anyway, I have included a link to last year's thread on your problem. I hope someone can help. It's hard to stretch across the Atlantic to try and help. Maybe someone can come up with something that wasn't caught before.

Allen

http://tinyurl.com/yhvfxv8

Danny it is going to be impossible to tell you where your problem is from far away your wiring has been modified so much there is no diagram any where that is going to match what you have. I would suggest trying to find an amateur radio guy some where in your area they are some what familiar with all kinds of wiring and usually up to a challenge. What town do you live in I maybe able to contact a ham radio guy in your town that maybe willing to help. House electricians usually do not do well with low voltage wiring it is comparing apples and oranges they both come from trees but that's it.

You have two choices, Pay $1500 to have it wired or learn all about 12v RV systems and fix it yourself

You should start with a basic RV maintenance book, a VOM and some made up jumper cables for a 12 volt battery.

Remove all the fuses, take the battery and hook it up each thing one at a time and make sure the fixture, water pump, refer (if its 12v) all else work correctly. Then start following the wire back to a junction and see if the fixture still works. Keep doing this until at some point things stop working. Your problem is between the working and not working points. Rewire then keep going until it all works

There isn't a magic wand we can wave to help you, so its up to you, spend money or learn. Learning is better because if there is another problem then you can fix it too, instead of paying more money

You have two choices, Pay $1500 to have it wired or learn all about 12v RV systems and fix it yourself

You should start with a basic RV maintenance book, a VOM and some made up jumper cables for a 12 volt battery.

Remove all the fuses, take the battery and hook it up each thing one at a time and make sure the fixture, water pump, refer (if its 12v) all else work correctly. Then start following the wire back to a junction and see if the fixture still works. Keep doing this until at some point things stop working. Your problem is between the working and not working points. Rewire then keep going until it all works

There isn't a magic wand we can wave to help you, so its up to you, spend money or learn. Learning is better because if there is another problem then you can fix it too, instead of paying more money

Thankyou all,

I myself do not like to spend money on something that I could do myself that is why I have not paid to have it fixed already. The person that looked at the electrics was a house electrian. I am living close to lausanne in Switzerland.

A few preliminary questions:-

- Do you have a wiring diagram?

- Do you own a multimeter?

- Have you ever worked with either of the above before?

- Where are you in Switzerland? I lived there 50 years ago.

I found the wiring diagram on this site

I do have a volt meter

I have not worked with the above before but I would like to improve my skills

i live near to lausanne

Well, if you were there then (which it doesn't sound like you were) we were nearly neighbours. I lived in Tannay (just up the hill from Coppet and went to school in Versoix and Geneve. First time on skis was Christmas Day, '59 @ St Cergue. Fond memories, indeed!

It's good that you've now got some of the basic tools to work with. I'd suggest you spend some time getting comfortable reading the wiring diagram and using the multimeter (some might refer to it as a VOM). Start looking at the wires you can see and try and confirm that the colours corespond with what you see on the diagram. It's possible that they are different because of the 'Swiss' wiring or have been changed over the years. If you find any differences, be sure to take notes.

I'm not going to try rewritting the book, so I'll suggest that you Google 'How to use a multimeter'. Just start with the basics (how to read voltage and continuity). Remember, this is not rocket science and there are a lot less wires (fortunately) in the MH than in the Toyota part. Break it down into seperate circuits and check the from one end to another, 1 at a time so as not to become everwhelmed! Mark off each circuit, one at a time with a highlighter.

I should add, in parting, that I hate electrics!!

Good luck.

Well, if you were there then (which it doesn't sound like you were) we were nearly neighbours. I lived in Tannay (just up the hill from Coppet and went to school in Versoix and Geneve. First time on skis was Christmas Day, '59 @ St Cergue. Fond memories, indeed!

It's good that you've now got some of the basic tools to work with. I'd suggest you spend some time getting comfortable reading the wiring diagram and using the multimeter (some might refer to it as a VOM). Start looking at the wires you can see and try and confirm that the colours corespond with what you see on the diagram. It's possible that they are different because of the 'Swiss' wiring or have been changed over the years. If you find any differences, be sure to take notes.

I'm not going to try rewritting the book, so I'll suggest that you Google 'How to use a multimeter'. Just start with the basics (how to read voltage and continuity). Remember, this is not rocket science and there are a lot less wires (fortunately) in the MH than in the Toyota part. Break it down into seperate circuits and check the from one end to another, 1 at a time so as not to become everwhelmed! Mark off each circuit, one at a time with a highlighter.

I should add, in parting, that I hate electrics!!

Good luck.

I lived in the campsite in saint cergue for 4 months, Now I live in a place called Montricher 20 min drive from there and 20 minutes from Lausanne

A freind introduced me to an electrician and we are going to try and solve the problem next week so I hope that things will work out.

I will keep everyone posted thanks to you all for your input