I did a search on " synthetic oil". Seems like most, here, think that it isn't a good idea to use a synthetic oil in an older engine. It will just "blow by" and be wasted. Just use a good quality petro oil. Maybe, someone else will comment......?

Tudy

84 Dolphin "Cricket"

Synthetic oil was being used more in some of the Equipment I worked on sometimes it helped and sometimes on older equipment seals wouldn't hold, they started using Viton seals because the syn wouldn't affect them.

Myself I wouldn't chance it on my old stuff another thing that happened was some synthetc's were mixed with mineral oil by accident and the whole mess would jell and that was a mess to get flushed, I think its overhypped

I think our MH's engine and tranny worked harder than they were originally designed for because of the constant heavy weight(definitely more so than our pickup counterparts), and in that respect, I would recommend using both synthetic engine oil and synthetic automatic transmission fluid. Comparatively, if I drive a twenty something years old Toyota Corolla, I would just use ordinary oil and tranny fluid.

I have heard the same stories about seals and gaskets leaking on older engines

after switching to synthetic oil, but I have not experienced that first hand,

nor have switched to synthetic oil.

I would suggest to use a top grade regular oil and filter, and reduce the oil change

intervals. Change the oil before and after a major trip, and whenever you think

the engine has been worked harder than normal.

Dennis...

I've been following this forum for a while, and some swear by synthetic motor oil, others say no. It's now time for my oil and filter change, and I'd like some more feedback before I get it done. Please tell me what you think, and why. I really appreciate it, thanks.

Syn oil shouldn't be used in a engine older than 1985, otherwise it is the best oil to use.\

As a toy seabreeze owner and auto shop owner I would't use anything but Syn oil.

upon research synthetic oil is better and can withstand higher temps but also does a good job cleaning your engine and will clean "false seals" and could therefore cause oil leaks or consumption should these false seals that were created by years of accumulation be cleaned away. I wonder what age would have the most false seals and accumulation, pre 90's, pre 85??

So my question is what is considered a high mileage engine, 40,000 50,000 75,000 100,000. Unfortunately if the engine was not treated nicely in its younger days even 30,000 miles might be somewhat worn. I have not heard any stories of seals starting to leak because of the synthetic oils not being compatible. If blow-by is a factor then the problem was there anyway and I don't know that its been made worse because of synthetic oil which is supposed to cling better than standard oil at high temps. Add the fact that standard oil can break down or change at high temps and synthetic does not my feeling is that because we run these engines and transmissions allot harder and hotter than standard pickups, I say put it in.

Now if someone has a story of increased oil consumption and sudden new seal leaks after switching to synthetics please speak up!

My '84 Dolphin had 78,000 miles and synthetic in the engine for many years before I bought it.

It doesn't leak or use a drop. I use 5/30 Mobile one with a quart of Lucas full synthetic oil treatment.

The treatment is to prevent dry starts,(it sits through the winter months), and I add 2000 more miles between oil changes.( every 7000 miles)

Works for me and I will continue the same routine.

T.A.J.