Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding an axle swap, I haven't seen these specific questions on the forum by searching but forgive me if I am asking repeated questions.

I have an 86 Odyssey 4x4. Its has a six lug rear axle, however it is not a full floating axle so I want to replace it. I know that I need to keep several factors in mind when putting a new rear end in - wheel size, gear ratio etc.

My first question - Do I need to concentrate my search for an 86 rear end or will any other years offer the correct mounts for a bolt on application. I am trying to minimize the fabrication, but I do have the ability to fab and weld if needed. I have had more luck finding '87and '88 rear ends is the reason I ask this question.

My second question - Most of the rear ends I am finding have a gear ratio of 3.90. Will my third member with 4:10 gears bolt in without any mods needed?

My third question - Is the 6 bolt pattern on the full floating axle the same as the 6 bolt pattern on the 1-ton NON- floating axle? Curious if I am going to need to have a new adapter or wheels fabricated. I know that most dually wheels with full floaters are 14" and I am going to need to match the wheel size on my 4x4 which are 15"

All my wheels are 5 bolt pattern and I have 6 bolt to 5 bolt adapters all the way around.

Something else that has come up is aftermarket rear ends and conversion kits. Some people have said that the adapter kits aren't rugged enough to handle the weight. Does anyone have the exact specs on the factory Toyota full floaters as a comparison?

In the past when I have asked questions on boards, there were many responses shooting down what options I mentioned. However none of those people offered reasons why they shot them down or offered solutions to the problem.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sean

That's weird. There are a lot of guys that have done swaps I sure they will chime in with some answers for you. What I don't get is the 6 to 5 bolt adapters most of the late module Toyota pickups had 15" 6 bolt wheels. The center hole in the later 15" wheel is quite large but I don't know if they will fit over the 1 ton rear hub or match the bolt pattern. As I'm sure you know the ratios have to match as well as wheel and tire sizes both ends. I have a 97 Tacoma if no one has an answer for you I can measure both the MH and the Tacoma and let you know.

You had better get some to measure. But from what I remember the 1ton 6 bolt rims have a different pattern than the 4x4 rims.

You should be able to find a 4:10 rear they are very common on the RVs

Are you running duallys or singles on the back??

There is a company that makes a full floater conversion for the standard nonfloater axle, no idea about how strong it it. Many 4x4 off roaders use one.

Thanks for responding, I look forward to getting more info on this swap.

As far as the things mentioned... Not sure why the 6 to 5 lug adapters. I can only assume that it has to do with having all 6 wheels match or perhaps there weren't any 6 lug duals available at the time of assembly. I am running duals on the rear.

I have seen the Full Floater Conversion kits, I like them as most of them come with discs for the rear which I would like to have. And the fact that they are bolt on is quite nice as well. My only concern is that I have been told they are not as strong as a standard Full Floating Axle(but I have been un-able to confirm this)

Sean,

I hate to say this, but I am the only person alive on the planet today who can take care of your 4x4 RV. I am so sorry. I am willing to pick it up, you don't have to thank me, I will just do it. Pay it forward is all I ask.

Seriously, this is what I encountered when I swapped my 83 Dolphin axle out. Standard 5 lug axle to a 6 lug 1 ton full floater.

1. The springs bolted right up without a fuss.

2. The shock absorbers were on opposite sides of the axle, and I was only able to get one bolted up. I have to weld a mount for the other side. I have not driven the vehicle in this condition.

3. Only two of the bolts on the yoke actually line up. I am going to have to drill 4 new holes by hand. Two are dead on, the other two are off only 1/4" or so. The yokes are not interchangeable between the axles. I tried a yoke off of another 1 ton and it had the same pattern as my 1 ton.

4. Hydraulic brake lines bolted up fine.

5. The E-brake lines worked only because I used small u-clamps to connect them to the old lines-but this was the case with the stock Dolphin due to the chassis stretch anyway. The passenger side Ebrake cable sheath seems to be about 10" too long and sags almost to the ground. I will have to re-weld the bracket.

Your mileage may vary, but there were some fitting issues with mine. It was far from a "Direct bolt in replacement". Worth it, though.

My brother used larger single wheels and a wider Tundra axle on his 4x4. You might want to consider this approach. The 15" wheels are a big plus with the 4wd. I expect it wouldn't be too hard to switch the front to 15".

Also, the Toyota full floater is hardly bulletproof under a motorhome - I have one that snapped...

Thanks for responding, I look forward to getting more info on this swap.

As far as the things mentioned... Not sure why the 6 to 5 lug adapters. I can only assume that it has to do with having all 6 wheels match or perhaps there weren't any 6 lug duals available at the time of assembly. I am running duals on the rear.

I have seen the Full Floater Conversion kits, I like them as most of them come with discs for the rear which I would like to have. And the fact that they are bolt on is quite nice as well. My only concern is that I have been told they are not as strong as a standard Full Floating Axle(but I have been un-able to confirm this)

Thanks for the info.

Sean,

I hate to say this, but I am the only person alive on the planet today who can take care of your 4x4 RV. I am so sorry. I am willing to pick it up, you don't have to thank me, I will just do it. Pay it forward is all I ask.

Seriously, this is what I encountered when I swapped my 83 Dolphin axle out. Standard 5 lug axle to a 6 lug 1 ton full floater.

1. The springs bolted right up without a fuss.

2. The shock absorbers were on opposite sides of the axle, and I was only able to get one bolted up. I have to weld a mount for the other side. I have not driven the vehicle in this condition.

3. Only two of the bolts on the yoke actually line up. I am going to have to drill 4 new holes by hand. Two are dead on, the other two are off only 1/4" or so. The yokes are not interchangeable between the axles. I tried a yoke off of another 1 ton and it had the same pattern as my 1 ton.

4. Hydraulic brake lines bolted up fine.

5. The E-brake lines worked only because I used small u-clamps to connect them to the old lines-but this was the case with the stock Dolphin due to the chassis stretch anyway. The passenger side Ebrake cable sheath seems to be about 10" too long and sags almost to the ground. I will have to re-weld the bracket.

Your mileage may vary, but there were some fitting issues with mine. It was far from a "Direct bolt in replacement". Worth it, though.