Brake indicator light on.

Hi Shoprat - I have had a similar problem on our '88 Celica in that the brake on indicator lite came on intermittantly. It turned out that there is a float and switch mechanism in the master cylinder reservoir that lets you know that the fluid is low by turning on the brake lite. Probably not the cause of your problem but just thought I would pass it along. Good luck.

Bill

Thanks Pickle Bill. I found out about this float thingy when I

Hi Shoprat - I have had a similar problem on our '88 Celica in that the brake on indicator lite came on intermittantly. It turned out that there is a float and switch mechanism in the master cylinder reservoir that lets you know that the fluid is low by turning on the brake lite. Probably not the cause of your problem but just thought I would pass it along. Good luck.

Bill

Thanks Pickle Bill. I found out about this float thingy and filled the reservior and the light was still on. I disconnected the float and the e-brake switch and it still does the same thing.

I'm thinking it must be something weird in the ccr in the dash unit, but wanted to check with ya'll to see if there wasn't a quick fix out there. :omg:

I read somewhere before but can't recall where and what the full deal was, but it seemed the brake indicator light and the alternator light on the dash somehow would light up together if the alternator or regulator weren't putting out correctly, with yours unhooked from the 2 main sources , fluid and handle, its still lit up, and it goes out when revved up sounds like it could possibly be sensing the alternator output somehow, might be worth a check of the alternator light bulb in the dash and the charging output to see if its a possibility thats where your problem is. Good luck

• 3 years later...
I have a brake indicator light on the dash that stays on untill I rev up the engine, then it goes out. Any of you out there run into this?

look for a very small brake fluid leak - if you can find one you may have found your problem. Look for fluid on tires or on the master cylinder. A small leak will activate the light, then with use of the brakes the will purge the air - temporarily.

Check your engine and battery grounds. I think I read the same sorta thing Nolan did but also sorta remember it was a combination of bad ground and maybe worn brushes in the alternator. This memory is kinda like an echo bouncing around in my head that I can't really hear, so good luck. :usd: