ShoutBox All Pages or just on the index Opinions Please! You can select more than one item.

Gulfstream Greg

ShoutBox All Pages or just on the index Opinions Please!  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the ShoutBox on all Pages or just the main index page? And on the Top, Bottom or Right?

well I voted front page only because I don't see the desire for anyone to keep such a close eye on an updated shoutbox. Plus I think your host will be happier that it isn't refreshing on every page as well.

I like the shoutbox. It works great as a greeting when you first arrive to the forum and is a fun place to post something that may get a laugh or chuckle.

... you didn't vote Greg.

I dont want to be burdened with having to work around the shout box

constantly when I go to read all the other forums. It is not like

reading the ticker tape on the Stock Market. I dont need to constantly

monitor it after I read it when I first get to the forum.

Scott

Hi - I love this site. I think the shoutbox should have its own page and not be on index and definitely not on every page. I think any useful info that is passed there is not preserved like it is in the forum posts. Also, I cannot shut it properly with my browser and I wish there were a way to disable it altogether in my profile. Definitely a distraction, though it looks like some people really get happy with it. :) So, if I was running this site, I would disable it altogether and keep the goods to the threads. ;0) --thanks for asking!

Nice link rat. Most computers come with some kind of graphics editing software packaged with the deal, but many aren't too familiar with its use. My mom floods my email monthly with huge pics of my baby nephew for instance. All of this isn't too big of a deal as most ppl have faster internet these days. But pics straight from a digital camera are usually way too big to "send" and certainly too big to upload as an attachment to a forum. I'm sure Greg has a great host plan, but hundreds and hundreds of 1meg pics uploading to the site will eventually add up to some gigs. Seems storage these days is no big deal tho. Definitely the actual dimensions of the images is a real pain to deal with for guys like me that only own a laptop @ 1440x900 desktop res. Some of these pics posted here are "off" the screen! I see that there is also an option to reduce the quality of the pic as well in the site you provided (option #4). So that's a really nice site. Think I'll clue mom in on it. :)

I think any useful info that is passed there (the shoutbox) is not preserved like it is in the forum posts.
I agree in that useful information should be kept to the forums. This is a good point. One function of a shoutbox however is to help keep useless information out of the forums. And the beauty of a shoutbox is that information is not preserved where it becomes outdated. Such as the upcoming rally of Greg's for instance. 3 months from now, this will be outdated information. And as many categories as there are with the forums, there are plenty of times when something just doesn't quite fit. Or just doesn't warrant making a new thread or post.
if I was running this site, I would disable it altogether
Maybe the shoutbox can be moved to a more inconspicuous location, such as at the bottom of page. The size of it seems pretty low impact in my opinion tho and not that big of a distraction where it's at.
I wish there were a way to disable it altogether
It's possible the mod has some features like this, but for sure this can be achieved through setting a new permission group that you would be a 2nd member of. You prob would have to pm Greg or another moderator to manually set this tho, but it would be a way for users who were at the brink of slitting their wrists over the worthless banter and crap bombarded by the shoutbox. ... kidding of course. :)

OK as a test I put the shoutbox at the bottom of the index page. That's probably the least intrusive spot.

I have some basic choices. On the index or on all pages. On the top, bottom or right side. I can move the buttons to the right or bottom.

The easiest way for each individual to shut down the shoutbox is to use the little negative symbol in the upper right corner of the shoutbox. That will collapse the shoutbox.

Also as bajaduice mentioned I can create a sub group which will deny shoutbox access and display.

I realize its not for everyone but for some its perfect.

And bajaduice, your right I have not voted and will stay impartial.

I don't think I can edit the poll and add more questions but if you all voice your opinions it will all come together! blink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think "right or left" would be too viable as many ppl have different resolutions as well as take advantage of the different skin options. Bottom or Top seems the best suited for all setups. Obviously bottom is less intrusive, tho nobody seems to be using it in that location; Bunch of stick-in-the-mud old farts! :P

I voted "bottom + index page only"

Edited by bajadulce
Greg, I unpinned this as it seems to have served its purpose.