Anyone Full Time in a Toyota?

vtchris

I am a Toyota full timer and was curious if there was anyone else. Thanks!

I am a Toyota full timer and was curious if there was anyone else. Thanks!

Hi Chris--my DW and I "more or less" full time in our 92 Itasca Spirit. We travel from November till May down South for the warm weather and then spend about six months in the mountains of Pennsylvania. We have a 1950 Spartan trailer which is on a permanent site. When we are parked in PA, we use the trailer for television and as a guest house, but we continue to sleep and bathe in the Toyota. This is our third Toyota home and although we have had every other kind of rig including a 36 foot Class A motorhome, we keep coming back to Toyota homes. I would be interested in more information about how you full time in your Toyota.

Hi Chris--my DW and I "more or less" full time in our 92 Itasca Spirit. We travel from November till May down South for the warm weather and then spend about six months in the mountains of Pennsylvania. We have a 1950 Spartan trailer which is on a permanent site. When we are parked in PA, we use the trailer for television and as a guest house, but we continue to sleep and bathe in the Toyota. This is our third Toyota home and although we have had every other kind of rig including a 36 foot Class A motorhome, we keep coming back to Toyota homes. I would be interested in more information about how you full time in your Toyota.

How do you full timers handle the small holding tank especially for the black water tank? Have you added cabinets for extra storage for clothing etc?

It is just me and my miniature poodle and our needs our modest, so storage is not a problem. I actually have lots of leftover room in my cabinets and closets. Since I always use the campground bathhouse, I put modular shelving in the shower stall. Plus I put a few things on the floor of the passenger seat, my maps go on the seat. Somewhere on this forum, you can see photos of my couch renovations. I did find that I had to upgrade my converter, because when you live in the unit the old converter is constantly trickle charging and that dries out the house battery. You are welcome to check out my blog.

We travel from November till May down South for the warm weather and then spend about six months in the mountains of Pennsylvania. We have a 1950 Spartan trailer which is on a permanent site.
Do you have a septic tank on this site? This would be a good project to build one.

Sounds like you got it made!

How do you full timers handle the small holding tank especially for the black water tank? Have you added cabinets for extra storage for clothing etc?

As for the small holding tanks (actually, by virtue of some plumbing malfunction, one flows into the other).....I find that by using other facilities as much as possible, I only have to empty about once every 2 months. I have yet to even fill them up totally. And no it doesn't smell.

• 4 weeks later...

living full time in a new horizon in maine. getting cold, but the rents pretty cheap. where are you?

Hey, they have wheels:headbonk:........I am in Florida for the winter, then back to Vermont for the summer.

• 3 weeks later...

I spent about a year and a half in my 21ft Sunrader here in colorado. I was lucky and had a free spot adjacent to a garage with electrical connection. I would dump my black and grey tanks and fill with propane and about once a month. Winters I used bottled water and only ran the heat at the end of the day while eating and just before bed. I hung sleeping bags over the windows and used an electric bunk warmer for heat. The bunk warmer would about kill the house battery with one night of use. That was why the free electric was key. I wore fleece, hat and sox to bed. After a while I kind of wasn't affected so much buy the cold. When you needed wrmthe the furnace would heat the RV in minutes. I know your thinking, What was the coldest night?, Minus 6, everything was covered in frost the next morning.

living full time in a new horizon in maine. getting cold, but the rents pretty cheap. where are you?

Where are you in Maine I live near Fryeburg. I also have a New Horizon Nova Star. Last year our coldest morning was -32 glad I was not in my camper.

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave, If I only use my fridge on gas my propane will last just about a month. I almost never use it to heat (I try to stay in warm climates and use an electric space heater when necessary). As for cooking, not so much, and only the top burners. Now if I switch the fridge to electric when I am plugged in, the propane lasts for months.

• 4 months later...

It is just me and my miniature poodle and our needs our modest, so storage is not a problem. I actually have lots of leftover room in my cabinets and closets. Since I always use the campground bathhouse, I put modular shelving in the shower stall. Plus I put a few things on the floor of the passenger seat, my maps go on the seat. Somewhere on this forum, you can see photos of my couch renovations. I did find that I had to upgrade my converter, because when you live in the unit the old converter is constantly trickle charging and that dries out the house battery. You are welcome to check out my blog.

Curious which upgrade you'd suggest for the 6300 model converter? I saw someone mention this 7300 RU in a forum. I've never worked with a deep cycle battery before, and don't want to be messing with problems while out on the road this summer. Will the upgrade take care of the battery boiling? Thanks.

Curious which upgrade you'd suggest for the 6300 model converter? I saw someone mention this 7300 RU in a forum. I've never worked with a deep cycle battery before, and don't want to be messing with problems while out on the road this summer. Will the upgrade take care of the battery boiling? Thanks.

I researched it and asked the pros and went for the PD4600 series converter, exact model PD4635V, 35 amp. I paid $212 from

Progressive Dynamics. It has been working fine for about a year now. Also, since the house battery needed replacement too, got a high end sealed battery. Where mine is located makes it impossible for me to check the water level without asking someone with muscles to do it for me:weight_lift:. I am a female senior citizen:ThumbUp:

Hope this helps!

Well, I haven't researched them all at all. Would I be correct in assuming your PD4635V is basically included in a Progressive Dynamics PD4000 Intellipower Distribution Panel? And the 'V' designates their version for a Gel battery?

http://www.progressivedyn.com/all_in_one_pd4000.html

Is there any downside to installing a 45 Amp vs 35 Amp unit? Or is it that 35 Amps is more than enough?

BTW, Chris, where do you hang out in Vermont in the Summer. I know the North pretty well. I've done quite a bit of cycling in and around the Mad River/Stowe area.

Well, I haven't researched them all at all. Would I be correct in assuming your PD4635V is basically included in a Progressive Dynamics PD4000 Intellipower Distribution Panel? And the 'V' designates their version for a Gel battery?

http://www.progressi...one_pd4000.html

Is there any downside to installing a 45 Amp vs 35 Amp unit? Or is it that 35 Amps is more than enough?

BTW, Chris, where do you hang out in Vermont in the Summer. I know the North pretty well. I've done quite a bit of cycling in and around the Mad River/Stowe area.

Now you are over my head, sorry I can't answer your more technical questions, I am no expert in electricity, that's why I consulted the pros. I know enough to know not to fool around when it comes to electricity, things can go wrong in a big way.

As for me.....I am a NEK gal. That is Northeast Kingdom, Newport/Island Pond area. I also spend some time in Burlington. Anywhere that a friend will let me park:D

For the record, I hate electrics and treat them as a 'necessary evil'! Electronics I avoid even more!

I do know the NEK a bit. Actually went scuba diving in Lake Willoughby decades ago. And I have cycled around Jay a couple of times. One of my sons lives just over the border in Sherbrooke. His wife is from Coaticook. Both sons graduated from Bishops University in Lenoxville.

I actually drove down I91 last Sunday to check out my Winnebago purchase in Maine. As I recall, there was sleet falling as I drove past Newport!

• 1 month later...

Hi There

I am a full timer here in Florida in my 85 New Horizon 21 footer. I have extensively modded her for boondocking.

I have 4 120 amp/hr deep cycle batteries.... 2500 watt inverter..... 200 watt solar panel and a pop-up wind gen I built myself. Most importantly I switched out the anemic alt for a 160 amp PowerMaster and upgraded the wiring going to the coach battery bank. All lights have been switched out to LEDs. Usually just lil trips to Wal-Mart and the like top off the batteries nicely if there is no sun or wind. It puts out 90 amps at idle, so I can just idle her for an hour and she becomes my 4 cylinder generator!

The rust accumulation in the gas tank is HORRIFIC and am currently doing my second tank cleaning in a year. This time I am coating the whole inside with a tank sealer and putting in a new sending unit as I have never had a working one yet. I just know I can go 200 miles on a tank so at 150 I start looking for a station.

Also gonna weld on a bracket on the frame rail behind the passenger seat to mount an extra rectangular 9 gallon plastic boating tank I have. You can get these at Boaters World for about $50. Just a big empty space there waiting to be filled! Then I'll drill a hole and weld on a fitting to the bottom of the main tank while I have it off. The two tanks will be joined by a connecting hose and as I fill the main tank, it will fill the aux tank. No need for fancy pumps or pricey aux tanks...just let gravity do all the work! That'll give me about another 130 miles range.

Got my 1985 30lb horizontal propane tank recertified at Suburban after just repainting it to make it look nice. Saved me $300 for a new one. Sprung for a new regulator though... I could smell a slight leak from the original one.

The big change with the interior was ripping two old seats bolted to water tank cover (on right side) and replaced it with a single comfy recliner chair. Moved the water tank forward just behind the driving seats and now it makes hopping up on the bed a cinch!

Ripped out old couch (on left side) and leaky hot water tank under it. Now has on demand hot water from a unit I bought for $150...much better though I usually shower at one of the AnyTime Fitness gyms that are all over the country. This setup allows me to use that space under the couch as storage. Save the foam and you can build a nice new sitting area over that with plywood, get some updated fabrics, and get space to boot.

Also built a pair of simple cabinets in the bunk area over the windows for additional storage. Had to move the lights that were there but I didn't use them anyway.

Speaking of updating, I got new veneers at a specialty store (almost whitish poplar for me), poly-urethaned ithem, and applied it right over that old 1980's dark paneling. I rebuilt all the cabinet doors and epoxied smoked glass insets to some, mirrors to others to update the look. I am currently rebuilding the bathroom door to match everything else. Obviously this is not necessary to full timing, but I'll be living in here for a few years at least, and the beautiful interior was worth it.

My specialties are electrics, engines, and shop work...the woodworking was a bit new, but fun. I'll be adding additional storage on the roof making my own box.

One last thing, for those of you considering a rear carrier. I made one for my 400lb motorcycle but was not sure what the handling would be like and if the rear axle could take all that leverage. It was definitely lighter steering but manageable. However, I emptied my rear tanks & moved every bit of weight I could as far forward as possible. A really fat wife would probably work too... The point is, if you just want to add on a light 150 lb scooter or something you shouldn't have any issues.

Cheers!

I insist that you post some pictures somewhere so that we can see your mods!! (Please, of course!!)

Hi There

I am a full timer here in Florida in my 85 New Horizon 21 footer. I have extensively modded her for boondocking.

I have 4 120 amp/hr deep cycle batteries.... 2500 watt inverter..... 200 watt solar panel and a pop-up wind gen I built myself. Most importantly I switched out the anemic alt for a 160 amp PowerMaster and upgraded the wiring going to the coach battery bank. All lights have been switched out to LEDs. Usually just lil trips to Wal-Mart and the like top off the batteries nicely if there is no sun or wind. It puts out 90 amps at idle, so I can just idle her for an hour and she becomes my 4 cylinder generator!

The rust accumulation in the gas tank is HORRIFIC and am currently doing my second tank cleaning in a year. This time I am coating the whole inside with a tank sealer and putting in a new sending unit as I have never had a working one yet. I just know I can go 200 miles on a tank so at 150 I start looking for a station.

Also gonna weld on a bracket on the frame rail behind the passenger seat to mount an extra rectangular 9 gallon plastic boating tank I have. You can get these at Boaters World for about $50. Just a big empty space there waiting to be filled! Then I'll drill a hole and weld on a fitting to the bottom of the main tank while I have it off. The two tanks will be joined by a connecting hose and as I fill the main tank, it will fill the aux tank. No need for fancy pumps or pricey aux tanks...just let gravity do all the work! That'll give me about another 130 miles range.

Got my 1985 30lb horizontal propane tank recertified at Suburban after just repainting it to make it look nice. Saved me $300 for a new one. Sprung for a new regulator though... I could smell a slight leak from the original one.

The big change with the interior was ripping two old seats bolted to water tank cover (on right side) and replaced it with a single comfy recliner chair. Moved the water tank forward just behind the driving seats and now it makes hopping up on the bed a cinch!

Ripped out old couch (on left side) and leaky hot water tank under it. Now has on demand hot water from a unit I bought for $150...much better though I usually shower at one of the AnyTime Fitness gyms that are all over the country. This setup allows me to use that space under the couch as storage. Save the foam and you can build a nice new sitting area over that with plywood, get some updated fabrics, and get space to boot.

Also built a pair of simple cabinets in the bunk area over the windows for additional storage. Had to move the lights that were there but I didn't use them anyway.

Speaking of updating, I got new veneers at a specialty store (almost whitish poplar for me), poly-urethaned ithem, and applied it right over that old 1980's dark paneling. I rebuilt all the cabinet doors and epoxied smoked glass insets to some, mirrors to others to update the look. I am currently rebuilding the bathroom door to match everything else. Obviously this is not necessary to full timing, but I'll be living in here for a few years at least, and the beautiful interior was worth it.

My specialties are electrics, engines, and shop work...the woodworking was a bit new, but fun. I'll be adding additional storage on the roof making my own box.

One last thing, for those of you considering a rear carrier. I made one for my 400lb motorcycle but was not sure what the handling would be like and if the rear axle could take all that leverage. It was definitely lighter steering but manageable. However, I emptied my rear tanks & moved every bit of weight I could as far forward as possible. A really fat wife would probably work too... The point is, if you just want to add on a light 150 lb scooter or something you shouldn't have any issues.

Cheers!

will do! I have plenty of OLD pics of her before I started but I will take some today. Standby! will post them tonite.

OK...I'm gonna try this again. I just spent 4 hours uploading pics and adding commentary just to find it all disappear with the click of the submit button. Could not even go back to copy/paste what I'd already written! Grrrrrr!!!!

I'll try just a photo or so per post and see what happens.

This is the original chair setting atop the water tank. Unless you were a dwarf you had to turn your legs 45 degrees to the side to put them on the floor while using the table to eat or write. Dumb setup. Out it came.

post-2665-12745691494607_thumb.jpg

So, I moved the water tank to behind the driver's seats, which now provide convenient step up top bunk, nice ottoman for the recliner, and additional sitting space for any drinking mates I come across in the desert...In place of the water tank, a single swivel recliner I picked up on Amazon. Cut off feet and welded swivel post into old chairs base plate. Bolted that onto floor. (Painted the walls and added pleated shades too)

post-2665-12745693244557_thumb.jpg

OK...I'm gonna try this again. I just spent 4 hours uploading pics and adding commentary just to find it all disappear with the click of the submit button. Could not even go back to copy/paste what I'd already written! Grrrrrr!!!!

I'll try just a photo or so per post and see what happens.

This is the original chair setting atop the water tank. Unless you were a dwarf you had to turn your legs 45 degrees to the side to put them on the floor while using the table to eat or write. Dumb setup. Out it came.

So, I moved the water tank to behind the driver's seats, which now provide convenient step up top bunk, nice ottoman for the recliner, and additional sitting space for any drinking mates I come across in the desert...In place of the water tank, a single swivel recliner I picked up on Amazon. Cut off feet and welded swivel post into old chairs base plate. Bolted that onto floor. (Painted the walls and added pleated shades too)

Thanks for going the extra mile to post a second time.

As I'll be 'living' in mine alone (plus the 2 80lb dogs), I like the idea of having 1 comfortable chair for my old bones and the dogs can 'suffer' on the couch. I'll have to give some thought to sacrificing the dinette for something similar. Thanks for the inspiration.

anyone that can tell me how to change the avatar pic...I'm opened to suggestions. I added my toyo pic in my profile, but it doesn;t show up here. This is NOT one of the easier forums I've ever been to I must say. Oh, currently resizing my pics so they are more viewable. The huge ones I uploaded are difficult to see in that silly viewer and there is no option to right click....so...I am spending lots of time resizing.

I was thinking of photobucket...but assumed this would be easier (how wrong I was), since some of it is better with explanation of what I did. But after I'm done, I'll upload to Bucket so you can keep some ideas on file. I took alot of my ideas from photos I did at the RV show and some pics of newer coached online....since, as a real Aussie man I have no interior design skills of my own. I just know how to use tools!

RIGHT....Let's try this again...with ALL the pics!! Work with me Toyo Forums!

Speaking of the floor, Out came that 80's chocolate carpeting, and IN with the easy to clean, modern Bamboo flooring.

post-2665-1274584291083_thumb.jpg

The old outdated cabinetry was too dark and depressing. While I had it apart I dropped in a new contemporary countertop I picked up for $40.

Before

post-2665-12745843917837_thumb.jpg

After.... Doors are simple 1x4 whitewood from HD. sanded and topped with Minwax clear gloss Poly Urethane. Insets are glass mirror attached with silicon sealer to allow for flex and vibration on the road. Found out you needed this flex the hard way when I tried epoxy the first time. Wood should be epoxied. I use t-88 as I have used it in construction of some of my experimental wood aircraft designs. Nothing is stronger and more forgiving than t-88. Oh, the trim is brushed stainless contact paper from HD.

post-2665-1274584291083_thumb.jpg

post-2665-12745843397074_thumb.jpg

Here is a good Before and after comparison. The old bathroom door next to the new closet and drawers. I made the door with the original mirror that came with coach, just moved it to a better spot. Nice etched glass. The pulls on everything are brushed stainless from HD. The drawer fronts are just 1x6' whitewood sanded and poly'ed like everything else. The bathroom door is a focal point when coming in, so I'm spending a bit more time on just the right design. Should be done a few weeks after all my other myriad of upgrades.

post-2665-12745849825899_thumb.jpg

another view

post-2665-12745850329379_thumb.jpg

This was my test shelf in bunk area before I built a whole cabinet to match others. I will make one on both ends of bunk. Quite a bit of storage and NO head bump in the morn! At the foot I will use the old 12 volt light wires for a custom fan I'm making from 2 10" comp fans ( I like a breeze whilst I sleep) and together they only draw 1.2 amps with TONS of breeze. the other end obove my head will be a 12 volt LED reading light. oh, the dimensions are 10x10x42

post-2665-12745853813469_thumb.jpg

These are the living room cabinet doors and veneer. Made with 1x4 whitewood from HD, sawn and sanded to shape (after being epoxied together). The veneer was obtained locally at specialty wood shop. I think the species was poplar. Go very light, as the poly will take you several shades darker. The glass was just simple window glass cut just bigger than the inset and glued into place with silicon. Had to nibble a bit inside on the glass where the hardware attached to get it to line up right. The smoked look came from simple Limo tint I had lying around. Haven't done the stainless

post-2665-12745858177088_thumb.jpg

Edited by wetboy

The motorcycle carrier I built onto the back using the old bumper/ hose holder and some c-channel I found dumped. Welded that onto the back frame rails. Everything painted in lots of hammered black finish. The carrier itself is bolted onto the c-channel so I can repair it if necessary and because I may make a bolt on hitch so I can do some light towing in the future should I desire. The lil shelf hoding all the nuts n bolts is the 1x6 wood ramp that, when loading, is pinned to the rack with a 3/8" bolt. In transit, a simple bungee holds it fast to the beams. You can push the bike up, but I'm usually lazy and just drive it up onto the carrier. So far she has handled over a thousand miles with a #400 bike on the back. Much better than I predicted given how overloaded our real axles are already!I do offset that weight with as much of my tools and heavy stuff up front as possible. A really fat wife would work as well... ;-)

post-2665-12745907161942_thumb.jpg

And the motorbike...

post-2665-12745913035219_thumb.jpg

Oh, if you have an old horizontal tank without OPD valve it is exempt from the new rules and refillable. Section 58 of the national propane rules. However, you MUST have it recertified every 5 years?, I believe. Mine got a shiny new 99 cent paint job and that's all it took at Suburban propane, as long as she is still holding gas. After handing me my sticker, the blokes at the suburban forgot about me at the propane filling station outside. So, I forgot about giving them their $10 dollar recert fee and quietly drove off. hehehe. Back home we call that an Outback discount. No worries, refilled at Ace hardware cheaper anyway.

post-2665-1274591064139_thumb.jpg

Edited by wetboy

These are 3 of the 4 coach batteries. Deep cycle, 120 AH from wal-mart. Total of 5800 watt/hrs on board. These batteries are being relocated to where the old hot water heater was under the old couch inside the coach, with some ventilation for the hydrogen gas. ( A new on-demand system for $150 replaced the old inefficient, leaking heater). This will free up this old gen space for more storage!

post-2665-12745918264075_thumb.jpg

So, how do I power this without a gen set? Easy, I built a pop-up wind generator (down for upgrade), have a portable 200 watt solar panel, and a PowerMaster 170 amp alternator. The alt puts out 90 amps at idle, so I can top off batteries even with no wind or sun with an hour of idling. When boondocking out in the desert, it's rare I gotta do that. Also, small trips to Walmart can fill my batteries from 50% discharged in about an hour and a half. With wind and solar, it's rare I get that low. If you want to see the upgrade in detail, go here. http://www.rocketcit...%20Project.pdf. I didn't need to make the new bottom bracket like this guy did, just needed some spacers. You WILL need to upgrade your wiring though, mainly to the coach batteries. I used 2 guage marine cable from the boat store to take the + juice to the back. Old 4 guage jumper cables I had about tie all the batteries in parallel. Remember to ground your new pack to the frame with equally thick cable! The factory 10 guage crap isn't going to cut it! I just drilled a new hole in the frame, sanded to bare and bolted a 1/0 ground wire from one of the - terminals there. Paint over for rust prevention.

post-2665-12745922592138_thumb.jpg

The new isolator...a NOCO solid state 200 amp. The old isolators are only rated to 30 amp, I believe. They MUST be able to handle the total your alt can put out. Since the new alt senses voltage off the main output wire, I wanted it to sense the coach battery pack most directly, as that is what I'm usually charging. So I direct wired it to that. Solid state isolaters have one drawback, voltage/current drop to whatever battery they are charging as the current flows through the diodes, heating them up. That's why they have big cooling fins. By direct wiring to the biggest load, the house batteries, I have no voltage/current loss and they get filled quickly. The engine battery still stays isolated from the coach side.

post-2665-12745941522682_thumb.jpg

The solar panel is portable so I can park in the shade (where possible) and still get full sun. It adjusts for tilt, and every few hours or so you just point her more directly toward sun. This allows MUCH more total energy capture (from sunup to sundown) than a flat installation....about 75% more. If you are consider going solar, I would suggest several smaller panels to add up to what you need, rather than one big one like mine. Better for transport, storage, and setup. I just got it half-price, so I couldn't complain. Still, I'll probably cut it in half and hinge the frame so I can fold it in half.

post-2665-12745926208612_thumb.jpg

Edited by wetboy