Pacific NW ToyHome Get together/Rally?

dogre

Howdy All,

Misery (mysterious leaks, odd transmission behavior, etc.) loves company, and for that matter so do people with common interests. My question to you is would any of you be interested in a get together (aka Rally) in the Pacific Northwest? Oregon, Washington, B.C? Other venues are possible. All we need are your suggestions so that we can come to some consensus. I figure if we get three participants on the first try then this would be a success.

I live in north central Washington state, specifically in Chelan, WA.

Would any of you fellow Toy lovers be interested in a get together anywhere from Bend to Oosyous?

Please share your thoughts. Is this a hare-brained idea? Are you interested? Your suggestions?

Let me give you a target to shoot at. How about Chelan, WA sometime during the first week of October (specifically one of the Public Utility District campgrounds along the Columbia River). Beautiful empty parks with most amenities (except for a clubhouse/laundry). If you would like to rough it I suggest one of the state parks up the Entiat River.

Your thoughts?

Dave Oglevie

Chelan, WA

509-860-4800

We'd love to get together somewhere in B.C. next summer. Unfortunately can't get down to Washington, but if folks would like to join up in B.C. even on Vancouver Island somewhere, that would be wonderful!

We'd love to get together somewhere in B.C. next summer. Unfortunately can't get down to Washington, but if folks would like to join up in B.C. even on Vancouver Island somewhere, that would be wonderful!

I think that would be great! My June dates would work good for me - I have 8 days(June 19 - 26, 2011). Vancouver Island is wonderful - I have only been there once 2 years ago and would love to see more of it - but all of BC would be new to me and I'm up for anything.

We live on Vancouver Island and would love to take part in a get together. I might suggest the "Living Forest" campground just south of Nanaimo. Full hookups, large sites in a beautiful, natural setting, trails, ocean access, close access to Nanaimo for shopping etc, and you can't visit the area without having a meal at the Crow and Gate pub, one of the nicest pubs on the Island. I'd be glad to act as a focal point for planning and would look for input from everyone on preferred dates. Cheers, Wayne

I'd be glad to act as a focal point for planning and would look for input from everyone on preferred dates. Cheers, Wayne

Wayne, that looks like a great place! For those who want to see a map, this link to Google Maps should take you there. The best time for me would be in June, 2011 - I can take off Saturday afternoon, June 18 and probably pull into the campground sometime Monday, June 20. I could stay until about Saturday morning, June 25. If those dates don't work, I could change it up, but I need to firm up my vacation calendar at least six (6) months in advance because of my work schedule, so if anyone would like different dates, some pretty quick discussion on the subject would be to my benefit.

Thank you for volunteering to take the lead on planning!

Hi to David and all other Toy owners who would like to meet on Vancouver Island:

I'll block your dates on my calendar in pencil and await input from others between now and next May or so. I can definitely make those dates work ... heck, I'm retired and can make pretty much ANY dates work. :-)

When the date gets closer I'll make a bulk reservation for the appropriate number of sites and we can all talk about some activities we might enjoy: the old standard pot luck dinners, group breakfasts (I make great pancakes) and some time for show and tell for our individual camper enhancements, marshmallow/weiner roasts ... you name it.

There are often some very nice activities taking place at the Port Theatre in Nanaimo ... concerts, etc and at the Chemainus Theatre as well. I enourage all to google these two venues and get an idea of what I'm talking about. Also, think about things like medical insurance for outside the US ... and don't forget to fill your tanks with that cheap American gas before you cross the border. :-(

Since we live only about 20 minutes away, we'll also take our car to be able to respond to any medical emergencies etc. The last group campout we attended we had to rush a friend to the Nanaimo hospital because he had chest pains ... turned out he just ate too much spicy food, thank goodness.

Looking forward to meeting lots of Toy owners in our little piece of paradise. Cheers, Wayne

Hi to David and all other Toy owners who would like to meet on Vancouver Island:

I'll block your dates on my calendar in pencil and await input from others between now and next May or so. I can definitely make those dates work ... heck, I'm retired and can make pretty much ANY dates work. :-)

When the date gets closer I'll make a bulk reservation for the appropriate number of sites and we can all talk about some activities we might enjoy: the old standard pot luck dinners, group breakfasts (I make great pancakes) and some time for show and tell for our individual camper enhancements, marshmallow/weiner roasts ... you name it.

There are often some very nice activities taking place at the Port Theatre in Nanaimo ... concerts, etc and at the Chemainus Theatre as well. I enourage all to google these two venues and get an idea of what I'm talking about. Also, think about things like medical insurance for outside the US ... and don't forget to fill your tanks with that cheap American gas before you cross the border. :-(

Since we live only about 20 minutes away, we'll also take our car to be able to respond to any medical emergencies etc. The last group campout we attended we had to rush a friend to the Nanaimo hospital because he had chest pains ... turned out he just ate too much spicy food, thank goodness.

Looking forward to meeting lots of Toy owners in our little piece of paradise. Cheers, Wayne

Well, being from Parksville, we are pretty much close to everything. We can definitely recommend Living Forest R.V. Resort just south of Nanaimo. For those from the U.S., the ferry from Tswassen to Duke Point on the island is very close. http://www.campingbc.com/

This park is close to those amenities and attractions mentioned by Wayne.

For those wishing to go further afield, we also recommend Pacific Playground Int. http://www.pacificplaygrounds.com/ just south of Campbell River.

We are retired also, so are pretty much open to whenever is decided.

Hope to see all of you there!

Ron 'n Sue

• 3 weeks later...

David,

I am beginning to plan a Toybox play weekend for May, 14-16, 2011 in central Washington. We did get 5 Toyboxes together last year at the same time of the year at Banks Lake (very near Grand Coulee Dam). Interested? I will be moving this discussion to a new topic dedicated to Pacific NW ToyBox get together, Spring 2011. The previous postings have too much history to look thru. It is time to get specific so we can focus on each proposed rally. The one on Vancouver Island sounds interesting.

Your thoughts?

Dave Oglevie

Chelan, WA

'91 Itasca Spirit

I am beginning to plan a Toybox play weekend for May, 14-16, 2011 in central Washington...

Your thoughts?

I'm taking Friday and Monday off at that time, so it's a definite possibility. I'll pencil it in on the calendar...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ron and Sue

Well, it seems that the last week of June 2011 suits some peoples' schedules. I did offer to act as a coordinator for this and I'm still quite happy to do so. I'll send out a message in early May and ask for interest at that point. I plan to ask the Living Forest campground to set aside the appropriate number of sites for such a get-together and then advise everyone to deal directly with the campground to make their individual bookings. Not a lot to do in the meantime. I hope people will look at this reply and go to the "other" Pacific NW rally folder if they are just hearing about this Vancouver Island/June 2011 planned event. Wayne

That Living Forest campground looks great! What dates exactly where you thinking about? I'm kinda stuck to weekends... Arvie Friday June 24?

Thanks!

Andrew.

That Living Forest campground looks great! What dates exactly where you thinking about? I'm kinda stuck to weekends... Arvie Friday June 24?

Thanks!

Andrew.

I've arranged to take off the week of June 20 - 24, plus the weekends on either end. It's a good day and a half drive for me to get there, and the same home. I'll plan to spend a few days on the island, but will have to head back by the morning of Saturday, June 25.

It looks like that weekend of 25-26 June might be suitable for a few people. Perhaps we could extend the dates and make it a rolling event from the Thursday to the Monday or so, and people could opt into whatever dates work best for them. I really hope to get a lot of replies and indictions of preferred dates well in advance so we can schedule something that works fror the largest number of people possible. Let's keep this conversation going and hope we get lots of interest and participation. Wayne

It looks like that weekend of 25-26 June might be suitable for a few people. Perhaps we could extend the dates and make it a rolling event from the Thursday to the Monday or so, and people could opt into whatever dates work best for them. I really hope to get a lot of replies and indictions of preferred dates well in advance so we can schedule something that works fror the largest number of people possible. Let's keep this conversation going and hope we get lots of interest and participation. Wayne

Have marked off June 25 - 26 (and forward) on our calendar, so we'll be sure to be there! Looking forward to spring and cracking open the toy!

Have marked off June 25 - 26 (and forward) on our calendar, so we'll be sure to be there! Looking forward to spring and cracking open the toy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It looks like that weekend of 25-26 June might be suitable for a few people. Perhaps we could extend the dates and make it a rolling event from the Thursday to the Monday or so, and people could opt into whatever dates work best for them.

I've managed to extend my time off - don't have to be back to work until Wednesday, June 29, now. We hope to leave Boise on Saturday, June 18 and probably take a little time getting to Vancouver Island, but can easily be there by Wednesday, June 22 or thereabouts. I will have to head back home by the morning of Monday, June 27 - so that gives us about 5 days on the island. As the date gets closer and we see when other folds will be gathering, we will get more specific about when we will join the party. Living Forest Campground, right?

So, how many are in now?

Hi David ... and everyone else, especially those who might like to take in this event:

As of now you can read the messages as well as I and get a sense of the interest in this toy in. I'm planning to ask for some firmer responses by about the beginning/middle of May or so. I'll get in touch with Living Forest in early May and ask them to set aside a block of adjacent campsites for us and I'll give everybody a date by which they must book in this block before I let the campground release the sites that are not spoken for. I've camped there a few times and it's a great site. Large, nicely treed sites, beautiful walking trails, ocean views from many of the sites ... and they even have a nice cafe/patio where they serve pretty good lattes. All sites are full hookups. The campground is only about 2 or 3 minutes off the highway ... and away from a small strip mall with a good grocery store and pancake restaurant ... but you don't hear any traffic noise at all. The city of Nanaimo (75,000 approx) is nearby with some nice tourist attractions and all the usual big box stores, as well as a more charming and historic part of downtown that is fun to browse through.

So, I enourage everyone to start making plans and be ready to book if you're interested by early/mid May if possible. Everybody will have to book their own sites directly with Living Forest and I don't see a problem if some people want to come a day or two earlier or later and, likewise, stay a day or two later. Hopefully we'll have at least2 or 3 days when most of the people will be there together.

Cheers, Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

I have booked my wife off... :) We should arrive early Friday June 24th and depart on Sunday. Can't Wait! our first ToyHome Get Together!

Andrew & Heidi + two kids

Can't Wait! our first ToyHome Get Together!

Ours, too! It'll be fun to get a few rigs together and compare notes. So far, it's not looking like a huge gathering, but the ball is rolling!

• 1 month later...

Thanks!

Andrew.

We've got the 24th marked on our calendar! Looking forward to it!

Sue 'n Ron

in Tuareg