Can't get gas to fire up on fridge?

jimmy

Hi all you awesome and helpful Toyota lovers. So I'm trying to get the fridge to work. Not having much luck on electric, only dropping a few degrees. But figured might as well try the propane, but I can't get the pilot to light. I think the ignition is busted. Is there a way to light this manually??? Or is there some guru out there that might be able to help. Please let me know, trying to get this Dolphin ready to swim to Burning Man!!

Jimmy

They take awhile to cool down leave it on for a 1/2 day or so, on gas sometimes the gas lines need to be purged (full of air) I usually light the stove just to purge the lines then try the refrigerator, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

My fridge doesn't start (in propane mode) from inside. Those push button ignitions fail after a while and I haven't gotten around to replacing it. I have my wife turn the gas on and hold the pilot light switch from inside while I light the pilot from outside. You could try this technique to determine the root of your problem I suppose.

I have to remove a little cover (one phillips head screw) to get at the pilot light.

Hi all you awesome and helpful Toyota lovers. So I'm trying to get the fridge to work. Not having much luck on electric, only dropping a few degrees. But figured might as well try the propane, but I can't get the pilot to light. I think the ignition is busted. Is there a way to light this manually??? Or is there some guru out there that might be able to help. Please let me know, trying to get this Dolphin ready to swim to Burning Man!!

Jimmy

Jimmy,

Try some of these suggestions:

Take the cover off and check the ignitor mine had a big lump of crap on the end, kinda like flux/corrosion popped right off. then check the spark. Have someone go inside and press the button. obviously don't touch it when they are doing it...ouch!

Secondly the distance from the gas outlet to the burner is kinda long, it seemed to me that the distance was too long to get the gas to the burner so I rolled up a small paper tube and stuck it between it and poof it lit. (thats how I got first hand knowledge that the piezo lighter hurts : )

#1 make sure your refer is level according to the center of the ice tray / shelf. Try the pizzo at night. I can see mine spark in the little pilot view window on the refer (inside coach) or open the outside and take the small cover off the bottom and have someone pump the pizzo. If no pizzo adjust the spark rod closer to the ground and try again. If still no pizzo do as jemezdave suggests and try manually. Also as a note sometimes our little buggy friends get inside plugging up things and need to be cleaned out.

I've been through several problems with my propane fridge. 1st we had some dirt up in the vent fall and clog over the burner openings. Got that cleaned up with an old toothbrush, but that broke the end of the ignighter off so I had to manually light. Had the ignighter replaced and several weeks later the burner itself fell apart. They do burn out after a while and the previous handling finished it. I was able to get a replacement burner and installed it myself. The only trick there is that there is a small copper washer that goes between the gas tube and the nozzel which is easy to loose or overlook.

You do want the ignighter to work properly as the fridge will relight itself if the flame goes out. Also, its safer to turn the propane off when refueling and it's a pain if you have to do a manual relight each time.