Would like to put new belts on in the near future.The fan and alternator belt looks like a peice of cake.But that A.C belt may be a tough one.Can you get to bolts better from below to loosen or from the top? Looks like it will be the last one off and the first one back onto me.

Tom W.Thanks for the reply, but I can see were each belt goes.I mean they have there own pully to line up to.My question was what is the best/easiest way to get the A.C compressor bolts loose to get the belt loose enough to take off?

Tom W.Thanks for the reply, but I can see were each belt goes.I mean they have there own pully to line up to.My question was what is the best/easiest way to get the A.C compressor bolts loose to get the belt loose enough to take off?

You do not need, nor want to remove those bolts. I have changed mine - I can not remember how I did it - if my camper was here I would look under the hood and remember.

I think the idler arm is adjustable - loosen the center bolt then ratchet ehe adjustment bolt and the belt becomes loose.

I'll second the last reply there's a separate idler pulley loosen the center bolt and use the jack bolt to tighten the belt couldn't be any easier when you look at it you will see it. No pry bars channel locks skinned knuckles.

I will 3rd that. But you have to crawl under the front to do the A/C belt so drive the front up on some blocks. I have 3 belts and all 3 are completely different from each other.

The order closest to the engine is, alternator, has to go around fan blade to remove install, has no tension pulley and must be crow bar tensioned then tightened.

Then AC, it installs removes from under truck, does not go around fan blade, has its own tension pulley, might consider replacing pulley at same time, should spin smooth and have no side or wiggle play, only the tension pulley has to be adjusted for removal and install, there is a nut on the pulleys face that has to be loosened first then the adjustment bolt, reverse for install.

Then the power steering, it also goes around fan, has no tension pulley but its the easiest to adjust.

If I get time I will take a photo of each and point out the correct bolts to loosen tighten for the job. I just did mine.

There ya go!Thanks guys.It was a little dark in the building I keep my Dolphin in late Sunday p.m and I just had time to look in from the top and with a flashlight the a.c belt looked to be down in the depth of He!!.This weekend will run it up on the ramps and follow your helpful tips.I know that the belts are the ones that came on it in 91.Its a wonder they have not exploded by now,even with only 39,000 on them.

OK here are some pics and the gallery link with descriptions.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.ph...m&album=194

gallery_1_194_5923.jpg

Alternator pivot and adjuster lock bolt

gallery_1_194_172254.jpg

Power steering pivot and lock bolt. Lock bolt is lower down out of picture

gallery_1_194_29991.jpg

A/C tension adjuster bolt. Accessible from under truck.

gallery_1_194_110743.jpg

A/C Lock Nut, has to be loose to adjust tension. Accessible from under truck.

That job is done! 3 new gates Xl belts.Piece of cake.Replaced the top bolt on alternator to get rid of the crappy bolt head that was in there.Also put on new A.C idler as it was only $16.00.Toyota wanted $43.00 But I can get parts at cost from local Parts Plus store so I Just changed it as long as I was down there anyway.

Sunday I changed the oil. Then started it up to make sure no leak at filter. Because the AC is new I of course had to push the button to test it. A loud chirp as the compressor engages and the belt slipped for a second. Close inspection and it appears the belts have stretched a bit. Less than 100 miles on those new belts. I think the same as your, Gates XL. I re-tensioned the AC belt and will do the same for the other two this coming weekend.

So just a heads up!