1990 Dolphin

CRJDriver

Have been reading like crazy the last 2-3 weeks about what to look for, what to avoid and finally found something. 1990 Dolphin, 31756 miles (run a CARFAX and it checks) V6, Auto, one owner until last month, carfarx shows new title issued last month, CA registration valid until 08-2010, no generator, current smog, 7 brand new tires, don't think it has roof air, but might be wrong, all appliances work, clean inside, looks like all four corners have been re-sealed, cab-over glass has a 4 inch crack upper left corner, walls are straight, roof solid, floor solid, carpet on the floor/bathroom, paint is 7/10 interior 9/10, dash air blows cold, cabinets look nice, nothing funny inside, he doesn't know if the head gasket recall has been done, previous owner expired... Wants $7000... going to pick it up tomorrow. Am I doing the right thing? How easy is it to convince dealer to do the head gasket recall? Am I going to blow my own gasket in the process? I have never had one before, I just want to do something fun with the girls, before they get too old, they are 4.5 and 2.5 and they grow up so fast it's scary! Anything else I should know about?

IMG_6257.jpg

IMG_6256.jpg

IMG_6261.jpg

IMG_6267.jpg

IMG_6263.jpg

IMG_6268.jpg

IMG_6269.jpg

Edited by CRJDriver

Only thing I see from the pics is that the paneling between the main area and bath appears to not be the same as the rest of the paneling. So I would be on the lookout for some water damage. I do not see an A/C on the roof but the electrical is probably there just waiting for you to put one on the roof. Only other thing I see is the passenger side cab over corner. Is it a bit out of shape or is that just the picture? Broken glass and buckled exterior could be a sign to further damage. The floor plan is different than most, I don't think I have seen that one!

Only thing I see from the pics is that the paneling between the main area and bath appears to not be the same as the rest of the paneling. So I would be on the lookout for some water damage. I do not see an A/C on the roof but the electrical is probably there just waiting for you to put one on the roof. Only other thing I see is the passenger side cab over corner. Is it a bit out of shape or is that just the picture? Broken glass and buckled exterior could be a sign to further damage. The floor plan is different than most, I don't think I have seen that one!

IMG_6260.jpg

Is this what you are talking about?

Here is a better view. Definitely not looking the same as the other side as the lines do not match...

IMG_6260-1.jpg

Edited by CRJDriver

IMG_6260.jpg

Is this what you are talking about?

Here is a better view. Definitely not looking the same as the other side as the lines do not match...

IMG_6260-1.jpg

I am having butterflies in my stomach and my gut feeling tells me that this isn't right... I just sent him an email that I need more time. Thanks for pointing those things out...He had mention to me earlier that he had another guy that offered him his asking price and he wouldn't take any lower under any circumstances... But I am not driving 350 miles one way tomorrow for this. I will wait and maybe something else will come up, or he will take an offer...

All of those pop rivets on the trim is a sure tell tell sign that things were/are not good.Unless you want a project I would hold off on that one.

I agree. Wait until that thing rides over some really ruff roads in the next year. That wall between the bath and living space really does not look right. The trim around the edges etc. What happened to the original wall?

I agree. Wait until that thing rides over some really ruff roads in the next year. That wall between the bath and living space really does not look right. The trim around the edges etc. What happened to the original wall?

I told him last night via email I was going to pass... told him about the wall, he said "Wow... I thought it looked different but never put the two together..." What got me attracted to it was the low mileage. What I didn't think about was that it sat outside all it's life with no one taking care of it as they should have. Thank you guys for helping me out...

Have been reading like crazy the last 2-3 weeks about what to look for, what to avoid and finally found something. 1990 Dolphin, 31756 miles (run a CARFAX and it checks) V6, Auto, one owner until last month, carfarx shows new title issued last month, CA registration valid until 08-2010, no generator, current smog, 7 brand new tires, don't think it has roof air, but might be wrong, all appliances work, clean inside, looks like all four corners have been re-sealed, cab-over glass has a 4 inch crack upper left corner, walls are straight, roof solid, floor solid, carpet on the floor/bathroom, paint is 7/10 interior 9/10, dash air blows cold, cabinets look nice, nothing funny inside, he doesn't know if the head gasket recall has been done, previous owner expired... Wants $7000... going to pick it up tomorrow. Am I doing the right thing? How easy is it to convince dealer to do the head gasket recall? Am I going to blow my own gasket in the process? I have never had one before, I just want to do something fun with the girls, before they get too old, they are 4.5 and 2.5 and they grow up so fast it's scary! Anything else I should know about?

IMG_6257.jpg

IMG_6256.jpg

IMG_6261.jpg

IMG_6267.jpg

IMG_6263.jpg

IMG_6268.jpg

IMG_6269.jpg

Well I hate to start a new thread, so here is where I am at right now: I have 3-4 days off a week. The girls are still young, 4.5 and 2.5. We both are in out early 40's... The primary reason for this purchase is I need a crash pad between trips and it will be parked at the employee parking lot at the LAX airport... On my days off we will take it to the coast to escape from the Central Valley heat. I was originally looking at the V6, but now that I think about it, the 4 or even the 5 speed 4 Cylinder might do it, as long as it's well taken care off. Is the 87 the first year with a true 1 ton 6 bolt floating rear axle? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks for all your help again, seems there is a lot of plain, down to earth, honest people here and I like it!

I want to say that 89 was the first year but not sure. One way to tell when you look at the rv is the front wheel will be a 6 lug like the rear. The ones that have had the new axle retrofitted will have a 5 lug front wheel.

This is an 87. Front and rear have 5 lugs. Does that mean it had the new axle retrofitted?

87DolphinOutsideDSIMG_06281.jpg

• 8 months later...

[

you might want that generator -- if you are going to join the crash pad at lax (I know what an rj is - I haev a CL-65 type on my ticket -- CMR)

A more cost effective approach might be a trailer since & an airport car/ truck. I had a 92 itasca spirit - it would have been excellent for the mission you have in mind. You could also use it for vacation. A good one would run > 10K though. You could make a few bucks picking up a crashpad roomie if you are so inclined.

For 7K you are probably ok if there is no major structural issues.

As for recall, any toyota dealer will gladly do that for you. Call one up with the VIN -- they can tell you if it was done with date & dealer who did it.