Motorcycle for the Toy

Bodybagger

About a month ago, a family member brought a motorcycle to me to get mechanically checked out. It had some serious problems and I told him to take it back to the seller - in the back of a pickup truck! Unsafe to drive.

Well, it got me thinking about how nice it would be to have a small motorcycle on the toy. A little more freedom of movement. And if the MH breaks down, we could at least make parts runs.

Well, that very same motorcycle came on the market and I picked it up. 1982 Honda CM 250 Custom. I took care of the mechanical issues this weekend. It's 300 lb. If I made a ramp to roll it up onto the back of the MH, it would probably contribute 600 lb to the rear axle load. But that's about the ballpark of rear axle load contribution of our rear mounted fresh water tank.

So I have the options: carry water. Carry a motorcycle. Carry both.

Scales put the rear axle at 3750 with no water, but that's with half full grey/black tanks.

So to make a long story short, I think it's doable with a little creative shuffling of weight.

BTW this is a sweet little bike. 50 MPG and it looks really good. I won't be embarrased riding this thing.

One question that comes up though is leaving the MH unattended if we both go out on the bike. Under what circustances do you guys leave the MH? At a relative's house, of course it would be OK. In RV parks? Does it depend on the level of RV park supervision? Anywhere else?

post-2143-1247948098_thumb.jpg

Hey BB,

Sharp little ride.

How would you go about shuffling weight? Just curious.

Found a neat hitch mounted motorcycle carrier at

http://www.discountramps.com/hitch-mounted...cle-carrier.htm

shanda

That's almost exactly what we had in mind, but we were leaning more towards fabbing a permenantly mounted one to the rear.

BTW, 50 MPG was just an estimate based on what I have read.

I rode this bike 180 miles in the last 2 days and I got 80 MPG.

I am just blown away. I thought only scooters got milage like that.