Copper Wire from under hood battery negative terminal to coach

Hi Everyone,

There's a black wire that runs from the under the hood battery, down past the frame under the drivers seat, all the way to the rear of the coach. That wire snapped.

I've been trying to match that wire, does anyone know what that is? I'm assuming this wire has something to do with my coach exterior and interior lights.

What I had done was splice and repaired the wire with a 12 gauge wire. My exterior lights are fine, but not the interior lights.

For some reason it keeps shortin my 15amp fuse. After several comparisons of wires at the local hardware store I'm guessing the proper wire is an 8 gauge?

I took a look under the hood and found this code on the wires b 8 040 60degrees c pvc All Copper Strand

Can someone help me figure out which wire I should use and where I could buy it?

Someone told me that it was similar to car stereo amplifier wire, but those come in kits and all I need is about 3'.

Thanks everyone!

If you are blowing fuses, something is wrong that needs to be figured out and corrected before proceeding.

You might try a $35 wire tracing tool from Lowes to help you trace the wire. You'll never figure it out until you know where it comes from and where it goes to. Guessing just wont cut it. You have to be sure.

only 1 fuse is blowing and its the 15A that controls the interior lights. Prior to the wire underneath breaking, the lights worked fine.

I'm trying to find a store that sells 8 gauge wire by the foot. Most places sell this in a stereo amp kit for $30 and I don't want to buy it to find out it doesn't work. So anyone with info on the exact wire please help!

Thank again!

only 1 fuse is blowing and its the 15A that controls the interior lights. Prior to the wire underneath breaking, the lights worked fine.

I'm trying to find a store that sells 8 gauge wire by the foot. Most places sell this in a stereo amp kit for $30 and I don't want to buy it to find out it doesn't work. So anyone with info on the exact wire please help!

Thank again!

Home depot, Lowes all sell 8 gauge stranded by the foot. What side of the battery does that wire connect to, negative or positive? If its positive its the main feed to your coach battery from the front for charging. Any how a bit more info is needed. Such as do you have a coach battery, what year motorhome, how did the wire snap?

As an easy fix go to home depot or lowes and buy the wire you need. While you are there ask for some wire nuts for that size wire but specify that you want the ones that have the sealant in them. That type has silicon inside and when you put them on they seal the wire from the nasty outside world. Also buy some nylon wire ties and use them to keep your wire up and out of harms way. Your interior lights may just be a coincidence with blowing the fuse if its the only fuse blowing. When you say "your outside lights" are you talking about a porch light or the lights (running lights) that come on with the headlights? The running lights are powered by the front under hood battery and your headlight switch and have noting to do with the big wire that snapped. If they are connected somehow then someone did something way abnormal. It sounds like you have a short at one of your interior light or something else that might be tapped into that circuit. Its also possible a wire as it runs to a light may be pinched somewhere.