Cigarette lighter and oven does not work?

I hae the 83 Dolphin and for some reason the lighter will no longer work, I checked the fuse (under the steering wheel and it looks fine) any suggestions... Also wondered why the oven won't turn on, the pilot is lit?

Thanks in advance, if it's already been answered, please direct me to thread ads I can't find it...

Thanking you in advance.

Howdy Everest...

Two suggestions. The lighter only works if the key is turned on the run position. If the key is on, but the lighter still don't work, use a test light or a voltmeter and touch the center of the lighter socket. If it shows voltage then probably the element is bad. You can buy a new element at any auto parts store.

Hope this helps...

John

Does the radio work? I believe they are on the same fuse. Check the radio fuse.

If it still doesn't work, remove the plastic trim from around the radio and see if the plug-on connectors are still attached to the lighter socket. Sometimes the connctor to the center pin pops off.

As far as the oven goes, if the pilot is lit and stays lit, but the main burner does not fire up, the oven control is probably bad. It's not just a "valve" like the range burner valves. It has a thermostat that senses the temperature in the oven and opens an internal valve when the temperature is below the knob setting. It could just need to be removed and blown out, but it's probably had quite a hard life in the RV. But before condemming it, check the pressure at the valve with a gas manometer to see that you indeed have 11" water column pressure, or whatever the nameplate on the oven says. Incorrect pressure will prevent these valves from working.

If the pressure is wrong, your regulator needs adjusted.

On some ovens the pilot has two stages. Idle and call for heat. In heat the pilot flame will be larger and produce more heat, the extra heat allows the valve to open. Sometimes the thermocouple can have corrosion, soot etc that will insulate from the heat so take a look at that. How do you light your pilot. Does the control knob have a position that says "Pilot"? If you do then the above will apply. I would start with the thermocouple first, its the cheapest component to replace. Add more heat with a long stick match or something to it and see if it will light. Watch the arm hairs though. Also sometimes loosing and re-tightening the thermocouple where it attaches to the valve can help as they generate micro-volts and it does not take much corrosion to diminish that voltage.

Thank you so much for your replies...

The oven looks like it has never been used, there is no wear and tear nor evidence of it ever actually been cooked with, it's showroom quality, maybe that's the problem?... I'll Google your recommendations, so thanks for that.

The lighter is a mystery, it did work and then stopped, my first thought was a fuse, I'll buy another even tho' it looks good. Radio works fine.

Will get back with my results...Thanks again...

On some ovens the pilot has two stages. Idle and call for heat. In heat the pilot flame will be larger and produce more heat, the extra heat allows the valve to open. Sometimes the thermocouple can have corrosion, soot etc that will insulate from the heat so take a look at that. How do you light your pilot. Does the control knob have a position that says "Pilot"? If you do then the above will apply. I would start with the thermocouple first, its the cheapest component to replace. Add more heat with a long stick match or something to it and see if it will light. Watch the arm hairs though. Also sometimes loosing and re-tightening the thermocouple where it attaches to the valve can help as they generate micro-volts and it does not take much corrosion to diminish that voltage.

I'll do this first... Thank you Greg.