Safely home Again

Lance Andrus

Just got home from our annual trip to the William Holland School of Lapidary Arts in Young Harris, Ga. From Fayetteville, NC and back it is 685 miles. I did some work to the MH so I was happy to see how it did. My lowest milage was 12.74 with my highest being 14.77. Fixing the OD and using it smartly in the mountains seemed to help. The tranny temp never rose above 235, and the ride was very smooth. She still slows to about 25 on the steep hills, but considering my Toy has the 22RE, I can live with it.

Camping for the week was just as nice as it can be in our Toy. We were given the top site which was fine for us since we like our privacy. It took a bit to get it level enough for the fridge to work, but other than that, the camp site was fine.

Looking forward to my next major trip in November.

Toyota Motor Homes RULE!

The tranny temp never rose above 235

ATF should run between 175F to 190F. Fully synthetic can tolerate a higher temperature, but DexIII is going to be cooked. You need a bigger tranny cooler in that hot air down south.

You need a bigger tranny cooler in that hot air down south.

I'm running the biggest cooler I could find at my local parts store. It is odd actually, the only time the temp rose that high was on the interstate. When I was climbing the mountains, the temp stayed at or slightly above 190. I would have expected the polar opposite, higher in the mountains and cooler on the highway.

ATF should run between 175F to 190F. Fully synthetic can tolerate a higher temperature, but DexIII is going to be cooked. You need a bigger tranny cooler in that hot air down south.

A Temp. rise of only 10* can cut 50% of the life of a tran.

Remember the transmission is cooled by the engine coolant and bolted right to it so it's going to run near engine temp 235 is a little warm though I would expect to see that on a big modern Chevy, working it hard may drive it that high. Where is your sensor mounted? If you are measuring it right at the pump discharge it will read higher best place is in the pan. Granted the cooler the better but I would not loose sleep over it flush it out every 30K and it should last a long time.

I like Maineahs response not loosing sleep about it one place I go from under 4000ft to 9000ft in 16 miles mostly 2nd gear about 40 45 mph and 95 deg this time of the year, not sure I want to know the temp it has heavy duty factory cooler.

I change eng and trans oil together kind of refreshing trans only get about 2 1/2 qts from trans.