Amonia smell from fridge

Jeep

My little girl and I sleep in the Warrior on Sat. nights. Last Sat I went to turn on the fridge and when I opened it I almost feel over. Has anyone else had this problem?

Is it FUBAR, or is their something simple I can do?

Why does it smell like amonia?

Thanks, Jeep.

Yes, it is FUBAR.

You're looking at 300-500 to fix the leak and recharge it, or 800 for a new cooling unit if you can install it yourself. 1000 if you have it installed.

It smells like ammonia because the refrigerant inside of the cooling unit is a mixture of ammonia, water, and hydrogen gas at very high pressure with added hexavalent chromium salts to inhibit corrosion, and this refrigerant finally leaked out into the cold food section of of your fridge.

You're not the first. This is what happens when they die.

You can not repair the leak and recharge it. The cooling unit has to be replaced or a new refer. Depending on the model and year of the refer you might be able to buy the cooling unit. It sorta slides out the back of the refer and the new one back in. There is a bit of work to it for sure. What I have seen is sometimes the replacement unit does not fit exactly the same as the original. So keep that in mind. Depending on where you are located you might give this guy a call www.rvdoctorgeorge.com as he has a ton of used refers. Google a search for rv refrigerator repair and you will get all the details you will ever need to know.

• 9 months later...

Dang, looks like I'm going into the refrigerator repair business. :ranting2:

I'd get a new one.

As I understand it, if one of these is tilted "too" far, that a "lock" can occur and wala -- a leak as the pressure blows out.