Problem Leak Areas on a 1979 Sunrader

yoyoman

Hi -

I'm trying to track down where my leaks are on my 79 Sunrader. It's the one pictured in my profile.

It doesnt leak when it is not moving in a rainstorm, but when I am driving down the highway, I can see a rainstorm when I look over my shoulder. The lower table/bed area got soaked, and the upper bed got soaked on the rear (towards the back of vehicle) part as well.

From the outside, the top main center vent looks well sealed, though it is cracking already. When I look up from inside through the top main center vent, I can see daylight and the lower part of the fixture is very loose. Im guessing that the top flaps in the wind and water gets in?

Also, Im not sure that this is the cause, because my manifold was cracked and I had to drive through the storm with both my truck cab windows down, and I know some water came because I saw a drop curve into my window and land right through the hole of my coffee cup in hand!

It seemed like a lot of water coming in because when I would be driving at 70 on the highway and put my right hand back into the back area and high up, I could feel droplets of water whizzing around in the wind.

Any idea if this would be because of *just* my windows being down? (I had to open the rear window as well so that the exhaust could move out of my cab.) Thanks for any tips. I got some of the recommended butyl tape and have it for repairing the first crucial set of problem leak areas. Please advise if you think of what might be the cause of this water coming in.

Much appreciated! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to re-butyl the top window / vent at least, as that is the most likely reason for the rainstorm in my sunrader, as I traveled the highway. I just dont think having both windows down could amount to soaking the mid-bed and rear part of the top bed.

The seal on the top looks cracked, but I dont see how so much water could get in to soak the cushions. In any case, Im going to reseal it and eventually drive through another rainstorm to see if it still leaks. If it is standing still, no water comes into the Sunrader. Strange one, eh?

Every little project brings us closer to Toy Nirvana.

I currently meditate on Sadie's Swamp Cooler Sprayer situation.

Think I'll post a new topic to ask the gurus.

Butyl in peace Yoyoman.

shanda

Can't tell if you have an air conditioner on top or not. Water is being forced in somewhere so check all the roof stuff. The AC if you have one has a big rubber gasket under it. If you remove the inside cover you will see some bolts or large screws. The whole thing sorta clamps down onto the roof pinching the gasket between the ac unit and the roof. You will see the screws that tighten it all down. You could try to tighten them down and see if that stops it. Also a high pressure hose sprayed under the ac on the roof could help to show the leaks face.

The gasket is somewhat cheap but its not a fun job.

• 2 weeks later...
Can't tell if you have an air conditioner on top or not. Water is being forced in somewhere so check all the roof stuff.

Thanks for the help with this.

No A/C - I resealed the top vent w/ butyl.

I havent yet driven it again in a rainstorm, but here is what I think is happening:

The top vent is sorta old and flimsy, so when I close it all the way, I can still easily lift up one of the back corners and look right through. Would the wind driving down the road at 70mph be enough to lift the vent corner(s) and let in enough water to entirely soak my table bed (which I had set up at the time), as well as the rear part of the cab bed?

I believe it could happen, but I just dont think it happened that way. There was just too much water coming in. I still think it had a lot to do with the water that was just coming in the cab windows I had lowered fully to bring fresh air through so that the exhaust from the cracked manifold didnt smell so bad.

Thanks very much for the help with this - If nothing else, I'll report back with another storm, one which I hope to meet as I leave Maine south near the middle of August.

Also, would one of those MaxxAirII vents be a solution to this instead of replacing the top vent, if it does happen to be too flimsy? It just doesnt keep a strong seal when I close it down. Not sure if the seal shrunk or the plastic grew weak, but I have not problem lifting the cover and peeking in with it fully "shut".