Hello

I have posted in one other area and got a few good responses which were very insightful. But I think this issue is more prominant than I am describing. So I'm going to try it again. The 1990 Toyo Wini V6 has about 70k miles on it. It will run GREAT most of the time. I will drive it,maybe 10 miles or maybe 30 miles........I don't know when it will start. But it will shift from low gear to a higher gear before it should, sometimes as soon as I take off from a start. Sometimes I will be moving at 30 miles an hour and it will shift

to a higher gear before it should. I was wondering if this happened to anybody else. I know the trans is in good shape when it runs right it runs great.

:headbonk: This is me hittin me...

Does this thing have ECT (electronic transmission control)? A switch that allows you to change your shift for power or comfort? And does it shift correctly some times or only when it's cold? This is going to be hard with out driving it is there a good,honest transmission near by? A good shop can tell you what's wrong by just driving it they have been there many times before and all transmission work exactly the same way.

Does this thing have ECT (electronic transmission control)? A switch that allows you to change your shift for power or comfort? And does it shift correctly some times or only when it's cold? This is going to be hard with out driving it is there a good,honest transmission near by? A good shop can tell you what's wrong by just driving it they have been there many times before and all transmission work exactly the same way.

Hello

It does have the ECT button and it works and the trans works good..............................the problem may be after driving 3 miles or 100 miles............I am inclined to think it might be the linkage or pressure control the last two people mentioned. By process of elimination these sound more logical. But I'm still open to all sugestions before I have to spend any money. At least now I can go in to a place with some armed info.

When you say it (the ETC) works ? You can notice a difference in the shifting? Or just the overdrive on and off. Still the first thing I would check is the cable it controls the shift points but usually it does not change either it works properly or it does not. If the pressure is low it will stay in a lower gear longer not shift early. They had problems with broken governor rings but again it would shift late or not at all and/or shift erratic. Once this thing starts to shift too soon does it continue to do so until the next trip? I know this may sound nuts but disconnect the battery ground cable and reconnect it I am not sure how advanced your ETC is it may have no effect or it might help.

When you say it (the ETC) works ? You can notice a difference in the shifting? Or just the overdrive on and off. Still the first thing I would check is the cable it controls the shift points but usually it does not change either it works properly or it does not. If the pressure is low it will stay in a lower gear longer not shift early. They had problems with broken governor rings but again it would shift late or not at all and/or shift erratic. Once this thing starts to shift too soon does it continue to do so until the next trip? I know this may sound nuts but disconnect the battery ground cable and reconnect it I am not sure how advanced your ETC is it may have no effect or it might help.

Hello

Thanks for the reply ...................Somestime it jumps to a higher gear ,like 10 or 15 miles an hour . From low to a higher gear which means I can floor it and bearly get a response. It doesnt do it all the time just enough for me to be affraid to take it anywhere. I will try to do the last thing you mentioned before anything more. The battery cable that is.

Thank You once again.

DL

Flooring it does not make it shift back down?

Sometimes but not allways............when I am taking off and it does the premature shift I will sometimes floor to make it shift or it will shift into the proper gear................its really very crazy................but I dont think it is a serious problem because it runs very good ....when it does not do it. I did ajust the cable someone emailed me about, but I have not driven it but a few blocks and it was fine..................but I might drive it 15 or 20 miles before it starts.

If this makes any sense.

Sorry no words of advice but i have similar problem, my tranny seems to change later than it should. My new/used junkyard tranny is out of an celica and seems to have more torque than original tranny. I just returned from a 400 mile trip up to vermont. Vermont is very mountainous. I was playing with od, on going down hill ,off going up. It seems to change gear like it should going up hill but when going down or flat it seems to change later than it should. If i let off on gas a little and it will upshift. I wonder if this is just a cable like suggested?

Yes probably. If you bring the outer cable (the big one) closer to the linkage it will shift sooner if you back it away from the linkage it will shift latter. It is easier on the trans to shift a little latter then sooner. From your discription it sounds like it is doing what it should.

• 2 months later...

Yes probably. If you bring the outer cable (the big one) closer to the linkage it will shift sooner if you back it away from the linkage it will shift latter. It is easier on the trans to shift a little latter then sooner. From your discription it sounds like it is doing what it should.

Hello

Im back again.......I have tried moving the cable in several different positions and no luck. Do you have any other Ideas?

Thanks

Dave

About the only thing I can think of other then the cable would be the governor. Erratic shifting could be caused by broken governor sealing rings or hanging parts inside of the governor it’s self. The governor has weights that are forced outwards by the rotation of the drive shaft against spring and hydraulic pressure so if some thing is messed up there it can cause your problem but it usually will cause down shifting issues also (it may not drop back into a lower gear as you slow down). Adjusting your cable should have a dramatic effect do you have a small pair of vice grips? If you do pull the inner cable out by hand and clamp it so it can’t go back in and drive it, it should shift very late or not at all. If that does not do much or it still shifts erratic you’ll have to find a good transmission shop because the problem is most likely internal. Let me know what you find I have a friend that still is in the transmission business and he is just a call away.

Mirage, your tranny shifting up going downhill is pretty normal, (as long as it is consistent) Your tranny is dumb, it only knows to shift up as early as it can, downhill it is under less load so can/will shift up at lower speeds. To use your engine for downhill braking, manually shift the lever to the gear you want.

About the only thing I can think of other then the cable would be the governor. Erratic shifting could be caused by broken governor sealing rings or hanging parts inside of the governor it's self. The governor has weights that are forced outwards by the rotation of the drive shaft against spring and hydraulic pressure so if some thing is messed up there it can cause your problem but it usually will cause down shifting issues also (it may not drop back into a lower gear as you slow down). Adjusting your cable should have a dramatic effect do you have a small pair of vice grips? If you do pull the inner cable out by hand and clamp it so it can't go back in and drive it, it should shift very late or not at all. If that does not do much or it still shifts erratic you'll have to find a good transmission shop because the problem is most likely internal. Let me know what you find I have a friend that still is in the transmission business and he is just a call away.

Hello

Lets just say its the gov. is that something thats internal? Or expensive? So far it seems that moving the cable makes no difference at all.

Thanks

Dave

Hello

Lets just say its the gov. is that something thats internal? Or expensive?

Not sure exactly which transmission you have, but centrifugal governors are on the tailshaft and you only have to drop the driveshaft and remove the extension housing. You don't need to remove the tranny to get to them.

But anything short of being completely stuck open, you might have a hard time diagnosing with your eyes anyway. Connect a pressure gauge to the line port and governor port of the transmission and watch them while someone drives. It will be clear if there is a problem with the governor circuit.

If shifting is solenoid controlled through all the gears, that doesn't apply.

What model transmission do you have.

Hello

Lets just say its the gov. is that something thats internal? Or expensive? So far it seems that moving the cable makes no difference at all.

Thanks

Dave

Bottom line yes the governor rings are internal the assembly comes out the front. The biggest bugaboo is the fact that it is erratic I do not believe your transmission is new enough to be fully electronic even if it is it still has a governor generally the ETC’s controlled lockup and shift tailoring. If the governor is hanging up there is a reason usually bits of metal from worn parts in the unit. They were known for broken governor rings some times damaging the case (that is repairable however) Finding any transmission shop with pressure gauges will be hard most shops have basically seen it all if the pressures are off there is a problem and it’s not external so the unit has to come out any way. Is there an independent transmission in your area?