1979 Sunrader w/ 13K Miles - Checkup Help

yoyoman

Hi -

I just got a 1979 Sunrader.

It has 13,900 miles on it and I wanted to get peoples advice on what I should make sure of as I begin to drive and work on it.

Im already replacing the clutch, clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, new front caliper and pads, new exhaust manifold gasket, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and a few other more minor things.

It has a fair amount of rust underneath, but the inside is very clean. It has the 20-R engine.

What should I look for that might need attention. It doesnt appear to have any water damage at all.

It was a dually back end, but the owner switched it to only have two wheels on the rear axle.

I'll post pics as soon as I get back to my house a few states away.

Thanks very much for any advice and help! :0)

post-2829-1245365252_thumb.jpg

Edited by yoyoman

It was a dually back end, but the owner switched it to only have two wheels on the rear axle.
That's like fixing a headache by cutting off the head. If you have the old axle, now you've got overloaded tires in addition to an overloaded axle.

Why would someone do that? The only thing that comes to mind is a tire blew and they didn't want to buy another one.

I would guess it had the welded wheels on a 1/2 ton rear if it's a 1/2 ton 5 bolt rear it would a good ideal to go looking for a 1 ton. If it's a 1 ton it would be a good ideal to go looking for 2 more wheels and tires.

Howdy Yoyoman...

You might want to change the fuel filter also. I don't quite understand the rear axle change. Did he change the whole rear axle, or just pulled one wheel off each side?

I think both - A different axle and it is no longer a dually.

I did change the fuel filter, thanks!

I would guess it had the welded wheels on a 1/2 ton rear if it's a 1/2 ton 5 bolt rear it would a good ideal to go looking for a 1 ton. If it's a 1 ton it would be a good ideal to go looking for 2 more wheels and tires.

I'll get back w/ the number of bolts. Thanks for your insight Maineah.