newbie with 88 sunrader

i am looking at some new rear tires due to age and may go all around if the front are same model, seems garage cannot find replacement tires yet today, also there is a slight exhaust manifold leak .. there gonna check it cold in morning..radiator hoses seem to be orignal and should be replaced also... so i am looking at some cash to make this vehicle reliable for trip. this coupled with airfare, 1200 mile jorney and cost of repairs price of rig is climbing..won it on ebay for 6900 and need to send deposit tonight, a thousand dollar deposit which i dont know how to work out, being i will be paying for repairs to a rig thai if for some reason, like far from as described condition there would be a loss of deposit plus money spent on repairs. seems closer to eight grand to get it home, also i know sunrader a better design with fiberglass roof, am i geting a fair buy 88 sunrader classic dosent have the wrap around windows 86k tranny rebuilt 100 miles ago thought and they only owned it since november and put about a thousand miles overall a four hundred mile initial trip home when bought from texas a year ago on ebay for 6000 said they put about four in all together...im just nerveracked about getting stuck somewhere stupid, i did join samsclub today woohoo. oh yea all appliances work rear bath 22re no gen or awning 8-8500 im thinking will be cost to get it home reliably so.... any thoughts

d

i am looking at some new rear tires due to age and may go all around if the front are same model

All tires should be 185/14R Load Range D

also there is a slight exhaust manifold leak ..

To get it home you might consider muffler patching tape available at auto stores.

radiator hoses seem to be orignal and should be replaced also

If they are rigid or cracked by all means install new ones.

... so i am looking at some cash to make this vehicle reliable for trip. this coupled with airfare, 1200 mile jorney

Check out fares on AirTran....even if you travel at the last minute their fares will be at least half the major carriers which charge an arm and a leg for late bookers. Also check SW Air.

won it on ebay for 6900 and need to send deposit tonight, a thousand dollar deposit which i dont know how to work out

You could sign up for Pay Pal. It requires a credit card account. Or you can go to a bank and arrange to have the $ wired to the seller.

, being i will be paying for repairs to a rig thai if for some reason, like far from as described condition there would be a loss of deposit plus money spent on repairs. seems closer to eight grand

$8K is what I paid for my 1986. It was in very good condition with low miles and I purchased it two years ago.....so you're not off by far.

to get it home, also i know sunrader a better design with fiberglass roof, am i geting a fair buy 88 sunrader classic dosent have the wrap around windows

It was manufactured in Indiana. The CA Sunraders have the curved windows. I bet the straight ones leak less.

86k tranny rebuilt 100 miles ago thought and they only owned it since november and put about a thousand miles overall

If the rebuild was done properly you should have many thousands of miles to use it.

im just nerveracked about getting stuck somewhere stupid

Check into some companies that offer towing/repair services.....Good Sam, AAA and many other auto clubs. I had a breakdown in IN and AAA paid for the bulk of the tow which was about 40 miles.

all appliances work rear bath 22re

That's a real plus. You won't have to spend $ on appliances.

no gen or awning 8-8500 im thinking will be cost to get it home reliably so

I had a generator that wasn't proper for the space it had been installed. Had it removed and haven't missed it yet. Depends of how you camp. If you usually stay at sites with electricity a generator is moot. An awning is nice but will cause problems in windy times and if not securely fastened can come undone and seriously damage your coach. If you plunk down and stay for a while an awning is nice.

.... any thoughts

Let's hope it all works out OK. Even if you spend some $'s it'll be worth the cost. If you have overdrive be careful about using it.....only on level and downgrades.....the 22RE in combination with the 43D auto transmission is a reliable team but I wouldn't recommend pushing it too much.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your return trip home.

John H SW OH

'86 21' Sunrader; 22RE, 43D; 58K

i am looking at some new rear tires due to age and may go all around if the front are same model, seems garage cannot find replacement tires yet today, also there is a slight exhaust manifold leak .. there gonna check it cold in morning..radiator hoses seem to be orignal and should be replaced also... so i am looking at some cash to make this vehicle reliable for trip. this coupled with airfare, 1200 mile jorney and cost of repairs price of rig is climbing..won it on ebay for 6900 and need to send deposit tonight, a thousand dollar deposit which i dont know how to work out, being i will be paying for repairs to a rig thai if for some reason, like far from as described condition there would be a loss of deposit plus money spent on repairs. seems closer to eight grand to get it home, also i know sunrader a better design with fiberglass roof, am i geting a fair buy 88 sunrader classic dosent have the wrap around windows 86k tranny rebuilt 100 miles ago thought and they only owned it since november and put about a thousand miles overall a four hundred mile initial trip home when bought from texas a year ago on ebay for 6000 said they put about four in all together...im just nerveracked about getting stuck somewhere stupid, i did join samsclub today woohoo. oh yea all appliances work rear bath 22re no gen or awning 8-8500 im thinking will be cost to get it home reliably so.... any thoughts

d

Hello,

I just took a peek on ebay, nice looking Sunrader.

Be sure to get the information on the warranty for the transmission and where it can be serviced.

For you trip home, just take her slow (55 to 60mph) and keep an eye on the temperature gauge.

You may want to not run the A/C, easier on the engine.

Do the basics before you leave, fresh oil change, check transmission fuild level, raditor fuild level,

and tire pressure. Inspect the drive belts, if cracked replace them (or bring them with you), a broken

belt could leave you on the side of the road due to no alternator or no water pump. You may want to

pickup a fuel filter in case you need one on the way home. Also, check the condition of air filter, dirty

filter will reduce gas mileage and cause engine to run a little hotter. You may want to add a can

of fuel cleaner (ie. STP gas treatment) if the RV was sitting for a while to get any water out of the

gasoline.

Regarding the tires, if they are not over 8 years old and are not cracking, you should be okay to

drive her home. If you do need tires and 185/14R Load Class Cs are acceptable, Goodyear makes

that size in their Wrangers, and are still sold at Sears, Goodyear Tires stores, and most of the national

tire chains.

Good luck,

Dennis...

thanks for the wealth of information, will be taking advice and talking to shop in morning hopefully they know year of tires or can relay the codes, im going to have hoses replaced. How about a tune up? the shop didnt suggest it but said the iddle was low probably from not being used much lately but they didnt suggest one. the leak will hopefully be small but i want to know what the worst case scenario of a exhaust manifold leak. he said its nothing major now but leaks only get worse so it may be in the future. Other then that im feeling confident in the rig and sent a 1000 deposit via paypal does anyone know how available those tires are, if i did blow one and needed it replaced on the road? got samsclub membership and found airfare for a 105 with tax out of philly, i will def find out about transmission warranty it didnt cross my mind, i am going to skip a rv inspection, everything is in working order so ill be able to test it myself when i arrive, or is it worth it, 110 if i bring it in i believe. also on a lighter note new orleans is 198mi away, somewhere ive wanted to go this would also add a 100 miles to trip home, to risky? how about the mountains of virgina shenendoa im gonna hit(its on route home) long as the rig is runnin strong thanks all for replies,

also the transmission was just rebuilt only a hundred miles and change ago any special way to drive, is there a break in period and most importantly i read about that bushing that wears in the cone shaped part, would this be replaced in a rebuit transmission? or do i need to get that tranny bushing inspected the rv is in the shop now and im going to be on the phone in the morning

Also, if the RV is going to be in the shop, have them inspect the rear diff/axle fuild level, or just have them

change the fuild (easier than changing the engine oil). Regarding needing a tune-up, hard to say, it all depends

on how old the plugs, dist. cap, and wires are. All these components can easily be had over the counter at any

parts store. Regarding the manifold leak, I would probably wait until I got her home to be sure that is what it

is, it will probably cost you $300 to $500 to get it fixed. They are correct that if you do have a manifold leak it

will get worst over time, but that time could be several years. I would be uncomfortable in dropping $500 until

I knew for sure it was a manifold leak and having the work done away from home could put you at risk for the

ride home, there has been a few stories of vacuum and transmission lines that have not been put back on

correctly. (actually, this may only be an issue for the V6 engines).

Dennis...

i read about that bushing that wears in the cone shaped part, would this be replaced in a rebuit transmission? or do i need to get that tranny bushing inspected the rv is in the shop now and im going to be on the phone in the morning

That should have been replaced during the rebuild, but I have learned not to ever trust anyone elses work without verifying it myself. You don't need any tools or anything to check it. Just grab the yoke firmly and try to shake it. If it moves, it needs fixed. Takes about 5 seconds to check. No kidding.

That should have been replaced during the rebuild, but I have learned not to ever trust anyone elses work without verifying it myself. You don't need any tools or anything to check it. Just grab the yoke firmly and try to shake it. If it moves, it needs fixed. Takes about 5 seconds to check. No kidding.

i am on verge of backing out due to the fact the the transimisson warranty 12m or 12000 miles cannot be transferred over with a 150 miles on rig i dont know how it the rebuild went and it would cost be big time if done incorrectly, also manifold intake sheild needs to be removed if a gasket its 400 if a stripped bolt, head needs to come out somthin im not willing to deal with, coulod be a good rebuild they do all police fleet in tallahasse but who knows, 150 miles. this is the rig i like minus the pink interior and rear dinette but if i dont make a 1200 mile trip home it could get ugly. same time a new tranny is a good thing, and if i can fight the fear i would like the rig jus expected a warranty on the tranny as stated, now no garantee and only hundred plus miles, any thougts

A great deal of the problems with those transmissions are some what over blown they are pretty tough it is hard to tell what kind of job they did but if they have a good reputation they probably did a good job. Find out if the shop is an ATRA member if they are it's covered by any ATRA shop across the country even if the warranty is not transferable at least it will let you know that their reputation is good. If they screwed any thing up it probably would have shown up in a 150 miles. If the bushing was trashed prier to a rebuild it most likely would have wrecked the case where the governor rings ride and a good shop would have repaired that also (particularly if they expected it to shift after they rebuilt it) . Have you talked to the transmission shop? Maybe you could make a deal with them about the warranty. That should be a 22RE, $400 is a pretty steep price for an exhaust manifold gasket. I guess the bottom line is if it does not feel right fly back home that's a lot of money not to be excited about it.

I bought my 1982 Sunrader knowing nothing about Toyota motorhomes, bought Good Sam's towing service, charged my cellphone and took off on a 1200 mile trip. I didn't think about problems and didn't have a single one on the trip. My Sunrader had about 84000 miles on it when I bought it and everything worked. I have made several trips up and down I81 in Virginia and the mountains there don't even phase my little 22R. I developed an exhaust manifold leak and it cost $0 to fix it. Three of the bolts had came loose, just tightened em up and everything was fine.

Part of the fun of owning these antique rigs is the joy of fixing them up. I bought mine because I wanted one. Just jumped in and never regretted it.

Allen

I bought my 1982 Sunrader knowing nothing about Toyota motorhomes, bought Good Sam's towing service, charged my cellphone and took off on a 1200 mile trip. I didn't think about problems and didn't have a single one on the trip. My Sunrader had about 84000 miles on it when I bought it and everything worked. I have made several trips up and down I81 in Virginia and the mountains there don't even phase my little 22R. I developed an exhaust manifold leak and it cost $0 to fix it. Three of the bolts had came loose, just tightened em up and everything was fine.

Part of the fun of owning these antique rigs is the joy of fixing them up. I bought mine because I wanted one. Just jumped in and never regretted it.

Allen

Allen, We agree. We recently bought a 83 Sunrader, 18ft, not so lucky about everything working. The previous owners had let leaks completely ruin everything behind the cab area. We completely gutted the entire inside, down to the fiberglass. We replaced the axles, front and rear now have started on the inside. Last night we put up most of the headliner and today started re-installing the shower unit that had a crack in the bottom and leaked there also.....

The Sundrader is such a cute little vehicle and it will be worth the effort. We hope to have it atleast driveable by the 4th of July, not complete but able to sleep in it at a family location where we need extra beds. We took photos through demo and are taking photos during the remodel. I am with you, get in and drive it. If you have a flat, take one of the dually wheels off and put it on the front until you can get home, that is how we had ours fixed when we changed out the front axle also......

MACLISA

hi all, thanks for the info, tips from your personal experiences and encouragement, i am flying from philly to pennsicola tomorrow and will really get road trip home goin monday morning after a spending first night in a florida state park, near the water. I am getting excited and wish i could have got a morning flight. I had a good shop check it over and spoke to the transmission shop who did rebuild they are a memeber but warranty not transferrable even for extra fee, they do the whole police fleet for tallahasse and dont have many come back, they take on freeway to verify conditon before calling customer for pick up, i feel confident in the rebuild and will check the extension housing bushing myself, probably gonna by a new spare in fort walton for 99- and got my goodsams membership in order, i am soexciteabout owning a toyhome and a sunrader at that.. i plan on spending the next couple monts moblile in different beachtowns along jerseyshore, spearing fish and jus livin ( ok not completely livin still pluggin to work everyday, jus clocking into a more laid back reality at the end of the day) so thanks for all the good luck and advice on my maiden voyage

Hey Jay,

We are happy for you and your Sunrader! Sounds like you will be having fun with it in the next few months and we wish you well! With Good Sam ERS and a good head on your shoulders, you should do just fine. Don't forget to baby it and give it a name! Keep all of us informed about how the maiden voyage is going if possible. May all your Sunrader days be smooth sailing!!! Enjoy B) !!!

Charles & Dianne '84 Dolphin