Buying a used generator

Hello there,

I am in the process of deciding whether to buy a new generator (Honda EU2000 or maybe some other portable ones) or a used one for my 87 Dolphin. I have seen ads that mentioned how many hours those used ones has been running. May I ask:

(1) Does the portable generator has a "hours used" counter built in?

(2) Anyone has experience/comment with the Yamaha 3000 ISE portable generator?

Many thanks.

Most of the portable generators do not have an hour meter. The Onan remote start panel did have an optional hour meter. The Onan Microlite generator is a very good unit that's what was in most of the MH. If you can find a used one it probably won't have that many hours on it. I would say that any brand name portable unit would be a good bet, Honda, Yamaha, Kipor and a few others come to mind most of the cheaper units are really not quiet enough and the last thing you want is other campers throwing things at you.

Most of the portable generators do not have an hour meter. The Onan remote start panel did have an optional hour meter. The Onan Microlite generator is a very good unit that's what was in most of the MH. If you can find a used one it probably won't have that many hours on it. I would say that any brand name portable unit would be a good bet, Honda, Yamaha, Kipor and a few others come to mind most of the cheaper units are really not quiet enough and the last thing you want is other campers throwing things at you.

Thanks for your comment. I don't think I'm skilled enough to put in a generator myself but I have heard good things about the Onan generator. You are absolutely correct that I do want a quiet unit so the EU2000 comes into mind, plus, it's weight is manageable (the EU3000 has more than double the weight).

So if I do buy a EU2000, and go dry camping, where should I put the portable generator? (Seems like a stupid question but I wonder if I put it outside the MH where the shore power hookup is would it be safe enough (I guess probably not overnight cos it may get stolen), but then again there won't be air conditioning overnight then.

post-2730-1245122919_thumb.jpg

Edited by centralman

Will it fit in the generator box? If so just take it out start it up and plug her in! If it's running I don't think they would get too far the silence would be deafening. Lots of guys mount them on the back.

Will it fit in the generator box? If so just take it out start it up and plug her in! If it's running I don't think they would get too far the silence would be deafening. Lots of guys mount them on the back.

Will the generator retailer have such box as an accessory or I have to buy it somewhere else as aftermarket stuff?

Many thanks.

I would not think the generator people would have some thing like that. There are any number of heavy plastic boxes (WalMart?) I guess what I was asking is the generator box on the motor home big enough? It looks pretty big from your picture. If it fits don't run it in there.

I would not think the generator people would have some thing like that. There are any number of heavy plastic boxes (WalMart?) I guess what I was asking is the generator box on the motor home big enough? It looks pretty big from your picture. If it fits don't run it in there.

Oh I see you mean the compartment that's between the potable water tank inlet and the shore power hookup. I never thought of it as the generator compartment because the previous owners puts the water hose, sewage hose and some other stuffs like wheel blocks in there. It's got a divider in the middle as the previous owner put the potable hose on top and the sewage hose in the bottom. I don't think the generator will fit in there.