Hi all, been reading a bit here, and have a question.

30 days from now I am taking my family to Colorado to start anew, the job I have here gave out and not able to find another, I am liquidating my stuff and going on a tight budget.

I have a opportunity to buy a 1988 toyota dolphin, with a broken axle shaft, I am assuming that the full floater like a chevy can just be slid out and a used good one slipped in?

or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

Yes as long as it has the true full floating rear axle. Also, depending on how it busted you need to make sure no pieces have been left behind. Just put the broken ends together and see if anything is missing. Post a picture of the rear hub and we will tell you what it is.

Yes as long as it has the true full floating rear axle. Also, depending on how it busted you need to make sure no pieces have been left behind. Just put the broken ends together and see if anything is missing. Post a picture of the rear hub and we will tell you what it is.

ok I just found out it is a 86, I havent seen the truck, but a friend got it in and asked me if I would like it.

The passenger side broke off flush with the backing plate. It is not a full floater.

Is there a cheap quick way to fix this?

I am going to pick it up next weekend, and need to get the shaft (s) ordered.

I want the truck to be safe for my family and me to drive cross the country, it has duals on it, I have read some stuff on here but have not seen any answer as to how to fix this cheap ...

I can get a 1990 dually 1 ton toyota truck rear end for 450, but what all do I need to put it in? and is the driveshaft different? is there welding involved?

the tires are not on the full floater, wheels are gone, is that a problem? I do not have a lot of money to do this trip.

I guess if I just fix this one I would need to pull the rear cover and pop the axle shaft out and then put it back in? will it just happen again? on the other side?

how quickly do they break? this rig has 77k on it.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Rollout

Yes it will happen again if it is a 5 bolt axle and most likely soon as the other axle has the same mileage it's the flexing that kills them. I can't answer your 1 ton question I'm not sure of the difference from year to year there are guys in the site that have been through this before that could help you out. Definitely fix it before you go or find a MH with the 1 ton floater.

Yes it will happen again if it is a 5 bolt axle and most likely soon as the other axle has the same mileage it's the flexing that kills them. I can't answer your 1 ton question I'm not sure of the difference from year to year there are guys in the site that have been through this before that could help you out. Definitely fix it before you go or find a MH with the 1 ton floater.

I have read several suggestions, just no idea where to get new axles to replace the ones in this rear, and no idea of if it would be prudent to try the 1 ton swap with limited time and cash.....

I imagine that if I could find some new axle shafts to slip in it would make the 5-7 thousand mile trip safely.....