alloy wheels for 87 Dolphin

arevee87

Hi I'm new to this so sorry in advance for any screw-ups. I recently purchased an '87 Dolphin and thought that it would be really cool, not to mention reduced unsprung weight and rotating mass, if the heavy steel wheels could be replaced with lighter alloy wheels. Does anyone out there know of any manufacturer or supplier of daully wheels for the Toyota cab-chassis/motorhome?

THANKS in advance for any info.

AREVEE

The only real gain from alloy wheels is looks.

Rotational mass only affects fuel economy insofar as extra energy is required to accelerate it. With a cruising machine such as this, you don't spend a lot of time accelerating.

Also the weight savings (when compared to the total weight of the vehicle) is so extraordinarily small that it's truly negligible.

You'd be better off from an improved economy and performance standpoint by removing your radio antenna to reduce aerodynamic drag.

The only real gain from alloy wheels is looks.

Rotational mass only affects fuel economy insofar as extra energy is required to accelerate it. With a cruising machine such as this, you don't spend a lot of time accelerating.

Also the weight savings (when compared to the total weight of the vehicle) is so extraordinarily small that it's truly negligible.

You'd be better off from an improved economy and performance standpoint by removing your radio antenna to reduce aerodynamic drag.

Thanks for your input Bodybagger, but my intention wasn't to get talked out of the alloy wheels idea. I know what my toyota trucks felt like before and after alloy wheels. They accelrate faster and don't bounce as much over bumps due to the greater inertia of the heavier steel wheels jerking the suspension and therefore the whole vehicle up & down. You are right about the vehicle to wheel weight ratio, but ten or so extra pounds per wheel jerking around and tearing at the suspension components is still the same weather its a large or small truck. My wife's camry (with alloy wheels) rides over pot holes silky smooth, but that doesn't make the pot holes any smaller or the wear and tear on the suspension components any less. As for the radio antenna that and a whole lot more is going to be addressed over the next year as the dolphin has sustained a lot of water damage and will be getting a floor up rebuild including a more aerodynamic nose up top and a lighter more efficient interior. I'm really into this "light" thing. I guess it comes from riding bicycles and being the engine I can really feel the difference between pumping a light or heavy bike up a hill therefore I conclude that less mass equals less gas.

AREVEE

One option is to look for GM 6 lug wheels. They are a 6 on 5.5" pattern just like the Toy. Just be sure the hub will fit through the center hole and the width is acceptable. There are lot of places purveying alloy dualies for Chevy trucks.

One option is to look for GM 6 lug wheels. They are a 6 on 5.5" pattern just like the Toy. Just be sure the hub will fit through the center hole and the width is acceptable. There are lot of places purveying alloy dualies for Chevy trucks.

Thanks for the tip on the GM dually aloy wheels. Mine on the Toyota are actually drilled out in an 85mm (about 7.25") lug circle, but that gives me a starting point. Maybe I can redrill out a set to fit the Toy. Thats how I mounted a set of '81 Camaro SS wheels to my '91 2WD Toy truck.

I will let you know what happens.

Arevee87

Going to be had to find 14 wheels with the pattern and the offset you need.

Going to be had to find 14 wheels with the pattern and the offset you need.

Yeah I will probably end up with 15" wheels and lower profile tires asumming that I can find anything at all that will work. By the way a correction to my previous post... my wheels are drilled out to a 185mm circle not 85mm as previously stated.

Thanks to all for your inputs

Arevee87