Last fall when I parked my camper for the season , I noticed a leak underneath on the driveway.

I normally start the camper and try to take it for a short ride or 2 during the Winter. This year I did not , as I put a tarp over it for the Winter. That , and the fact the battery was dead , is why I did not do this during the Winter.

By Spring I noticed a big leak "spot" under the camper. A few weeks ago I checked all the fluids (radiator , brake , oil , tranny) and nothing seemed to be low. As a matter of a fact , the tranny fluid seemed awful high on the stick , as if it had TOO much fluid in it. But , this was checked with it NOT running and warmed up.

I took it for a short ride a few days ago , and checked the tranny fluid again and it was off the stick !

I was wondering if this sounds like a pan gasket or what else it could be ? I realize you probably can't properly diagnose it without seeing it , but just wondering what the most LIKELY cause is ?

Also , I was wondering if anyone has used any of those tranny leak "sealers" or is this just snake oil ?

I do plan on having it looked at in the not too distant future , but I was wondering if the leak sealers actually work , or is it more of a band aid approach and I may be looking at much bigger problems in the future (such as tranny failure , out in the sticks somewhere) ?

I mean , if it is a rather simple (not too costly) fix , I guess it would juast be better to have it fixed. A pan gasket shouldn't cost that much (especailly given the alternative of tranny failure from lack of fluid !).

Also , I DO realize it is probably a good idea to start up the vehicle and let it run a bit a few times during the Winter , when it is stored. But will just starting it , warm up and circulate the tranny fluid ? Or would I actually need to drive it (this could be a bit of a problem , as I like to put a tarp over the roof in the Winter) ?

Snake oil fix the leak. Worst case a converter seal and the trans will have to come out. Generally the converters will not leak sitting but if it has thrown oil all over the inside of the bell housing it will drip on the ground. Rear seal, pan, detent cable does it work ok other wise? I can't say weather it is a good ideal to run it in the winter or not I don't because it's buried under several feet of snow by late December and I never seem to have any problems other then the occasional mouse or two.

See if you can wiggle the propeller shaft where it exits the transmission extension housing. I fear you have a worn extension housing bushing and this will rapidly destroy your transmission. Carefully read http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=268

and http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1793.

Edited by Bodybagger

• 2 months later...