Cabover Bed - Mattress Selection, etc

Ctgriffi

I'm in the process of replacing the old, original cabover mattress on the Warrior: it's just too beat and worn out, and I'm really eager to get rid of the last hint of "Pine Mist" fabric from this rig! :) 

I've built a new, hinged cover assembly for the center opening, and I'm pretty happy with that (really, really, really want to keep that fore-aft access, make it doable to move from cab to coach!). But, I'm trying to make a decision on the mattress. So, I've got about 80" by 51" to work with up there, and my plan was to take a queen-size memory foam (80x60) and cut it down in width. I've got an 8-in thick one on hand right now that could work, but it does feel pretty heavy... and weight is always a consideration in a small RV, so I'm wondering if I should've gone for a 6-in. 

Anybody have any advice or suggestions on mattress selection—or just any particular solution that's worked well for them in the cabover?

Here's the area in question...

image.jpeg.a31acb911e0f8ee1b56098999cc740d2.jpeg

Cutting into a premade mattress can be dangerous. Too many manufacturers use fiberglass liners to meet the fire retardant requirements. 

You really don't want to breathing fiberglass or have the dust anywhere near you.

Are you going to have the mattress professionally recovered? I replaced the foam in my Sunrader bed and dinette with foam from a foam store. They cut it for me and it was very reasonable. I use a down featherbed on top of the mattress and it's more comfortable than the bed in my house.

Duvet is over the feather bed so changing the sheets just means flipping it over. Your profile says Missouri but your IP address is telling me something else. PM me and tell me where you are and I will find the right kind of store. 

Linda S

Oh with the right kind of store you also get to pick the density you want for degrees of firmness. 

Hey Linda, yeah… still in SW Missouri, not far from Springfield. The mattress I’m talking about is just 6” of high density foam with 2” of memory foam on top, all inside a lightweight removable cover with a zipper (if I cut the foam down to size, I’d tailor the cover to fit). 

I’d be interested in seeing what kind of foam you used (links, plz). Also, how thick did you go with it? Thanks!

Since I used my existing covers I couldn't go thicker than 5 inches and I got medium density. The Sunrader overhead bed narrows at the front so that I cut myself with an electric knife so the cover would fit. Foam like this

2" Thick Single Size Polyurethane Foam Bed Mattress | eBay

The stores I'm talking about supply foam to professional upholsterers so totally not like a Joann  fabrics place.

Unfortunately looks like the best option near Springfield has gone out of business. 

Your plan sounds good anyway. 

Linda S

15 hours ago, linda s said:

Since I used my existing covers I couldn't go thicker than 5 inches and I got medium density. The Sunrader overhead bed narrows at the front so that I cut myself with an electric knife so the cover would fit. Foam like this

2" Thick Single Size Polyurethane Foam Bed Mattress | eBay

The stores I'm talking about supply foam to professional upholsterers so totally not like a Joann  fabrics place.

Unfortunately looks like the best option near Springfield has gone out of business. 

Your plan sounds good anyway. 

Linda S

I actually discovered that a standard "full" size fits pretty okay, too, and wouldn't require any modification—might try and go that route, instead. Thanks again for the input. :)