New Replacement Radiator for 22RE

My radiator on my 1986 Winnie with the 22RE is leaking. I know I could have it soldered , but I think I would like to replace with a new one.

I think I would like to go with a larger than stock one if possible. I plan on putting an new AC compressor in and hooking up my AC for the 1st time since I bought this 3 years ago , so I figure it wouldn't hurt to go with a bigger radiator (if possible) as well.

Anyone know where I might find a new (larger) radiator that would fit the 22RE ? And how much might I expect to pay for it ?

If not , does anyone know what (larger) radiators other model Toys may fit this if I have to go the junkyard route ?

You may have a problem finding a copper radiator most replacements seem to be plastic and aluminum and probably around $120 I'm not sure but I think the only larger one is for a turbo engine. You maybe better off having yours cleaned and repaired. A proper shop takes them apart and runs a rod thru the tubes and then cleans the rest with a solution and puts them back together. They are pretty good radiators you should not have a issue with them as long as they are in good shape.

www.radiatorbarn.com just follow the search chart

option #4, all metal, 3 row, $200

• 4 weeks later...

So no one has experienced any overheating problems when running the AC in a hot climate ? (it's a 22-RE motor).

Not that I live in a hot climate (I'm in CT.) , but I was thinking a larger one might not hurt if traveling out West or down South mid Summer.

The radiator and AC were stock , but just wondering if there were any overheating issues to be aware of ?

I know some (older) vehicles have been known to experience some problems....

I live in the Rockies. My Toy over heated climbing the passes with the old orginal radiator. I replaced it with a new 3 row HD radiator, no more overheating.

I DO NOT know if a new 2 row radiator would have cured the overheating, but the 3 row sure did.

WME

That was my concern , especially since I am going to be hooking up the dash AC (new compressor) for the 1st time since I bought this 2 years ago.

I live in CT. and occasionally take trips to the White Mts. in NH. I noticed the temp gauge getting quite high a few times climbing some of those Mts. !!

Although I am sure with my 22-RE I will need to shut the AC off anyway when climbing such a large hill (the going can get a bit slow at times , and I have had to pull over to let traffic pass).

I figure if I need to pay for a repair (of current radiator) , I might as well upgrade to a bigger radiator while I'm at it.

Plus , if I go this route , I can probably intall it myself and save on labor costs.

Putting a new radiator in is not that big a job (or is it) ?

I live in the Rockies. My Toy over heated climbing the passes with the old orginal radiator. I replaced it with a new 3 row HD radiator, no more overheating.

I DO NOT know if a new 2 row radiator would have cured the overheating, but the 3 row sure did.

WME

What motor do you have ?

4 or 6 cylinder ?

What motor do you have ?

4 or 6 cylinder ?

Hot rodded 4 cylinder. 140 HP

He turned a few screws? No seriously, what is the normal HP for the 22re? And how does one (backyard mechanic without sophisticated dyno equipment) measure horsepower? by measuring, I mean not in definition. The definition of horsepower is probably a click away in google. :)

WME .....

140 HP , what is that a turbo ?

If not , what did you do to it to boost the HP to 140 ?

Lets see, new Cam, port matched-pocket ported head with O/S valves, Over bored TBI, 2.5" exhaust and a little diddle on the air flow meter. Also a HD 3 row radiator and an external trannie cooler

A stock 22re is 105 to 112 hp depending on the year, so I'm only talking about a 25-30 hp gain. If you buy things from a good shop they will have dynoed the possibe combos and have a good idea what your going to end up with.