I just purchased my 1st motorhome 1988 toyota seabreeze dolphin 3 weeks ago.Safety is my #1 concern.I think the thing has been sitting for at least 5 years.What should i have checked before operating for safety reasons?It has propane and electric functions.I have stove top,microwave,fridge,roof a/c,propane heater.I have no generator,and want to be 100% self contained,live aboard,any suggestions?Thanks!

post-2437-1235766350_thumb.jpg

Edited by BigWaveDave

Well not knowing too much about it,it would be a good ideal to check every thing! One biggie would be tires, check the brakes, general safety inspection, tie rod ends ball joints, exaust that kind of stuff. Maybe a good tune up all new filters and oil, pack the wheel bearings just a good going over then you know what you got. Turn on your propane and have a good sniff around before you light any thing, fill it with water and check for leaks make sure your hot water tank is not leaking then take it for a nice ride in the general neighborhood listen for any strange noises and see how it feels. How many miles does it have on it? Looks like a decent repaint and it does have the proper rear so it looks like you got a good one. As far as the generator 2800 watts is all you would ever need most of the guys rear mount a Honda or the likes after they hear the price of a new Onan. Have a ball they are really neat motor homes you will enjoy it.

Ya, Tires! Somewhere around here someone posted how to read the date codes. 8 to 10 years is what I have been told on age limit. Read this post http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1718

As a retired Firestone Store Manager I can tell you that if you are driving on tires that old, you are begging for trouble. There's a reason that tire manufacturers won't guarantee rubber on tires beyond 4 years - and it's related to the reason the tires are date coded!

Look at the last digits of the small DOT number stamped into the sidewall. It shows the date in a 2-digit week|date code. So a DOT number that ends in 0405 was made in the 4th week of either 1995 or 2005.