14 Bolt Rear axle

kaya5150

I sold my toyota dolphin a few months ago because I did not want to pay insurance, and it served its purpose after our summer road trip. I have come across a a 1979 odyssey for super cheap. It has the weaker non-dually axle and would love to throw a 14 bolt with 5.13 gears single rear axle under it because of the price with some 10 ply tires. Does anybody have any experience with this. The master cylinder will have to be upgraded to a FJ 80 or some chevy model and new spring purchs. What else not to worried about the with. What is the Weight of a Odyssey? I know the Dolphin was 5545 loaded.

The 14 bolt 63" WMS

thanks for any info

• 1 month later...
I sold my toyota dolphin a few months ago because I did not want to pay insurance, and it served its purpose after our summer road trip. I have come across a a 1979 odyssey for super cheap. It has the weaker non-dually axle and would love to throw a 14 bolt with 5.13 gears single rear axle under it because of the price with some 10 ply tires. Does anybody have any experience with this. The master cylinder will have to be upgraded to a FJ 80 or some chevy model and new spring purchs. What else not to worried about the with. What is the Weight of a Odyssey? I know the Dolphin was 5545 loaded.

The 14 bolt 63" WMS

thanks for any info

What is a 14 bolt axle? What was it used on?

I’m going to guess you are talking about a Chevy 14 bolt is it a floating axle? Mine is out of the snow now I could measure it backing plate to backing plate you may not need to change the master cylinder the Toyota has some fairly large rear brakes. I would compare wheel cylinder diameter you maybe able to get away with it. Are you going to try a single wheel set up? The weight would be about the same for both Toyota's so you are dealing with 5 to 6 thousand pounds.

What comes to mind is wheel size and overall gearing even though its a lower ratio or bigger number.There a plenty of gear sellers on the net with formulas tire sizes , ratio's rpms etc

Here is my idea for a Toyota motorhome. Take a 2002 or newer Tacoma Ext Cab (PreRunner or 4x4), remove box and rear axle, extend/strengthen rear frame, install Ford or GMC dually rear end (use 235/85-16 all around), install coach of choice on top.

Picked up a GM 14 bolt at 7-11 off the back of some guys scrap metal truck. Then was about to get the motor home and noticed the floor was not flat. I don't think there was one piece of not dry rotted wood on this thing. O well pretty sure it would work with a bigger master cylinder remounting the purchs but not to sure if the pumpkin would be to big with the spring under axle. I just got a new tandem axle trail that should keep me busy until the first of summer.