Driving into Los osos I realized that my door was ajar and opened it up to slam it and it would not close again.

The latch on the inside has a plastic thing around the metal and the plastic on the passenger side is fully wrapped around the latch whereas there's no plastic visible on the driver's side and it stops before it will even close a little bit it's like the latch is permanently on open

HELP!!

Post some pictures that would HELP!

Maybe stuff in some cardboard wrapped with duct tape, you carry duct tape right?

Get out the biggest Phillips screwdriver you have. Go to  NB the other door and use it as a latch/catch without actually closing the door. You will have to pull it back when you pull the release. Not sure I’m describing this well…. But see how it works. 

Most likely the other door has the latch actually CLOSED. I see this happen on a kinda regular basis in the shop. Spray a bit of PB Blaster in the stuck latch then use the Phillips in place of the catch to pull the latch back open.