Does anyone have an idea what could be happening with my automatic transmission, if I kick the gas pedal down when climbing a hill to get into a lower gear, to keep my speed up on the freeway, the transmission runs on for quite some time in that lower gear before it will eventually return to a higher gear.

Thanks Mike

Check your trans shift cable adjustment. Open the throttle wide open,then look down where the bracket comes off the throttle body.There is a small sleeve on the trans cable that should be beyond the rubber boot about 1 mm. That's about a strong 1/32 of an inch in real measurement. If it isn't at that point, adjust the cable using the two nuts on the bracket that surrond the cable to adjust.

Hope this helps.

John

It’s probably all right as we know our little MH are not exactly blazing performers so it’s most likely taking awhile to get back up to the speed that it will up shift. Like shoprat said look at your cable if every thing looks OK loosen the nuts and move the cable forward that will make it shift sooner, ALL of the gear changes shift sooner. Be advised a quick shift on your mini hauler may not be a good ideal it is harder on the transmission due to the weight and wind loading that poor thing is working hard. I know it sounds like the engine is going to come unglued some times but about the time it shifts full load it’s at about max horse power.

Thanks guys

We're heading south on I-5 at the moment, I used the gear shifter yesterday to get into the lower gears, and never had a problem, it shifted up and down OK, I will stick with that method for the time being.

Bye the way, we saw a Toy House yesterday at a rest stop in Oregon, it had been converted into a coffee waggon.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
Could possibly be the valves in the valve body sticking.

Probably not because it shifts fine other wise. They had some problems with sealing rings in the rear of the case but that caused some big issues with shifting. Usually if you floor it it's all ready going slower then you want to go and it takes some time to return to the speed at witch it shifts and you can delay the shift by keeping your foot to it. Basically transmission line pressure is directly related to the amount of throttle so by keeping your foot to it it shifts later you'll notice if you lift your foot it shifts all most immediately if you are going fast enough.

I have found with mine it is impossible to keep forward momentum in OD, which means I can not accelerate in OD and only on flat can I keep it from slowing down and dropping to 3rd. So if I am going uphill I either need to be going 75 MPH and hope to keep it in OD, or just leave it in 3rd. So it does not drop into OD and then slow down drop to 3rd, speed up drop to OD, slow down drop to 3rd repeat. I think it is better for the driveline to leave it in 3rd on hills anyway.

I have found with mine it is impossible to keep forward momentum in OD, which means I can not accelerate in OD and only on flat can I keep it from slowing down and dropping to 3rd. So if I am going uphill I either need to be going 75 MPH and hope to keep it in OD, or just leave it in 3rd. So it does not drop into OD and then slow down drop to 3rd, speed up drop to OD, slow down drop to 3rd repeat. I think it is better for the driveline to leave it in 3rd on hills anyway.

Absolutely, I know you guys from out west will say eastern mountains are nothing but hills but I live in the mountains of Maine and travel to NH and VT a lot and going thru the notch of Mt .Washington I have to drop to 2nd gear pull over to the right and just go slow enough to keep the engine at a speed that it does not sound like it is going to explode. On the highway mine will stay in O/D but slight hills will do it in and it’s down to 3rd so if it shifts a lot turn the O/D off it’s better for the trans and yes the drive line too.