Greetings everybody, I just bought a 91 Toyota Winnebago 21ft. been sitting and rarely started for 5 yrs and 2 mths. It will start instantly and shut off immediatly. Runs for 1 milli-second. Any suggestions? where should I start? relay? fuel pump? fuel filter? gas tank? all of the above? I have not yet attempted any mechanical repairs, only interior cleaning. Thank You

Gene

First thing I would do, after checking for mice in the air cleaner, is to open the fuel supply line & make sure you have fuel flowing when you turn on the ignition. But it could be any of a bunch of things, can you hear the fuel pump when you turn on the ignition. does the gas tank have a bunch of condensation - if you're not sure about that, put in a cup of alcohol. good luck.

Tony

Maldune---I mess with antique cars a bit and after that amount off time I am afraid you are right.The gas in the tank is like shellac and anything between the tank and the carb is the same.

My cure is taking the tank out and cleaning it,new filters and a carb rebuild.If your fuel pump is electric you may be able run it in clean gas to clear it out.Not much I do has one.

The gang will set that straight in a hurry.Congrats.on your new motor home.

Steve.

Greetings everybody, I just bought a 91 Toyota Winnebago 21ft. been sitting and rarely started for 5 yrs and 2 mths. It will start instantly and shut off immediatly. Runs for 1 milli-second. Any suggestions? where should I start? relay? fuel pump? fuel filter? gas tank? all of the above? I have not yet attempted any mechanical repairs, only interior cleaning. Thank You

Gene

Edited by maldune

You’ll need to get rid of the old gas your engine is fuel injected so no carb it kinda sounds like it is starting on the cold start injector alone. Fuel pressure is very important so change the fuel filter first off and like nibs says do have a look at the air filter housing those pesky mice can build a nest over night so by now they probably have moved the kids back in. I’m guessing there is a drain in the tank so that makes things easier. Most areas this time of year have a fair amount of alcohol in the gas (maybe as much as 10%) so if you get it running don’t put too much new gas in it because you will probably want to drain it again because the alcohol will cut any crud in the tank. Did it set any engine codes? (engine light on?) Unfortunately with out a fuel pressure gauge there is no way to tell what’s going on, just having fuel present in the lines is not enough it needs to be around 35psi. The cold start injector is a lot less fussy it will inject at lower pressure so get the fuel cleaned up and the filter changed and see what happens.