Door lock problem

bikeforthelight

Hey guys, thanks for all the help on the issues this new Toy owner has. You are a wealth of knowledge. New question.

I have an 85 Dolphin. The door to the camper looks like it was replaced recently. I have a key that fully turns in the lock, but doesn't seem to lock the door. I cant even lock it while I am inside it. It has a little black knob on the inside that you can pull or push in, but it doesn't seem to lock it either way. I included a couple pics for reference. Any ideas on fixing it? If not, where would I go about buying a new lock? The door is great, but I don't want to leave anything in the toy unless I can lock it. Thanks.

post-2174-1229151078_thumb.jpg

post-2174-1229151091_thumb.jpg

Our '84 Dolphin had a Bargman L-300 lock that finally wore out. When we inserted the key, it would not lock. We took it apart and could see it was toast. They don't last forever due to road vibration, dust, etc. There is a place in Elkhart, Indiana that has Bargman L-300 locks listed on their website and they are the most affordable that I've come across...$40 for black, chrome costs $25 more. We got a black one and it works just fine and looks good even though we had chrome before.

www.rvsurplussalvage.com

Hope this helps you with your lock problem. They aren't hard to install either.

Dianne

The most common cause of it not locking is misalignment of the jam and the bolt and/or tumbler. The locking bolt or tumbler will move just enough when the key turns but doesn't slide in to the frame jam. Yours does not look like it has a dead bolt. The newer ones have no bolt but something that looks like a crab claw. That one still has to line up to fully close.

Check the tumbler with the door open. If it works then proceed with the next step. If it doesn't work, you might want to take it apart. It usually is self evident when something is not aligned.

Here's a way to check it. Get a magic marker and mark the frame outside with the top and bottom of the jam recess for the tumbler bolt. Close the door and see how the bolt lines up with the upper and lower marks. You can do something similar with what I call the crab claw.

Remember in an RV the coach is constantly flexing. The old style door bolt was terrible. The new claw is much better.

The latches are super simple take it apart and see if there is any thing wrong if you don't see any thing broken lube it up a bit and see if that fixes it.

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up taking the lock apart and figuring out that the locking knob was not aligned with the lock housing. A little grease, and flathead bending the pin back into place did the trick. I appreciate the help. I am starting to figure out that to fix alot of the problems, I have to just dive in and go for it. Now on to fixing the furnace. I have 6 weeks till I hit the road for 8 months straight. Gotta have heat :)