coach battery not charging

grinder

My 89 Odyssey refuses to charge the coach battery. I recently had to replace the battery for the second time because of poor charging conditions. I also replaced the alternator and battery isolator since they were both getting old. When I traced the wiring (I suspected a bad cable or connection) I found the wire going back to the isolator and alternator was OK, but the ground return appeared to go to the generator in the rear of the coach only...there was no common connection to the chassis ground. Seems to me that the charging circuit for the coach battery has no return path....or am I missing something? Anyone have any ideas?

Gezz it should be grounded some where. The ground need not return to the isolator but it needs to be grounded some place. Is your isolator the relay type or solid state? I added a second battery to mine and just made a new ground on the frame works fine. Is the cable bonded to the generator? if so is the generator grounded? I guess if it starts it is. The relay type isolators are ultra simple you turn on the key and it supplies 12 volts to the coach battery to charge it but it still needs a ground.

I have mentioned this before. Many of the Toys have little overload breakers to and near the coach battery. They are rectangular metal and have bimetallic contacts inside. Measure them with an ohmmeter. They should have almost no resistance. You can buy new ones at any auto store. Also the contacts to them should be cleaned annually. Also check your coach battery wires to see if the wire to clamp connection is clean.

I have mentioned this before. Many of the Toys have little overload breakers to and near the coach battery. They are rectangular metal and have bimetallic contacts inside. Measure them with an ohmmeter. They should have almost no resistance. You can buy new ones at any auto store. Also the contacts to them should be cleaned annually. Also check your coach battery wires to see if the wire to clamp connection is clean.