Where Do I Start

bikeforthelight

Hey there. Stumbled across this site and am finding if very helpful. I have just purchased a 1986 Dolphin, and am using it for a non-profit missions organization. I am going to be bicycling across the U.S. raising money for needs around the world. Zig zagging the country for about 8 months. I have a driver that will drive the dolphin and it will be my home for the next year or so. If your interested, the website is www.bikeforthelight.com.

Anyways, here is my question. I have never owned an RV, and the one I just bought is in great mechanical shape according to the shop I took it to. But I don't know the first thing about all the equipment in it. I know it works, but I have no idea how to work it all (propane vs electric, hot water heater, types of generators to get, pretty much any of it). I am really good with my hands, and can usually figure stuff out pretty well, but was wondering if there was site or book or something that could help me learn this stuff without all the trial and error. I downloaded the manual, and it helped a little, but I need more of the "this is how you do this" stuff. Thanks.

Visit My Bike For The Light website

im sorry, didn't mean to be too broad. I just wondered if there was a place online, or a book that went over the basics of rv'ing. if not, then i am really really glad i found this site. you guys all seem to know what your talking about and i am just trying to start.

Hi Johnny,

I found myself in same situation in May when I bought Sadie. I've not really seen any manuals for our little toys per se', but each appliance has it's own manual, and these can be found on the yahoo forum at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-campers/ .

(You'll need to join...it's free....and then the links will be on the left....FILES)

The 3 way propane fridge is fairly simple. Make sure you have electricity (battery power or shore power), and the propane tank is fairly full. The fridge also needs to be level. (Actually I just learned how to work my fridge about a week ago.) To use the propane feature, fully open the valve on your propane tank, turn the knob on the fridge to "gas", and set the temperature guage to 7 or so.....My fridge has a little flame indicator with red and green markings.....you should hear clicking as the electric ignitor tries to light the propane....give it 30 seconds....if you don't hear a whoosh, and the flame indicator does not move, turn the fridge gas knob to "off"......(you may still have air in your propane lines.....try lighting your stove top and draining air out of lines)....try the fridge again, by turning the fridge knob to "gas"......If after a couple of tries, it still doesn't work, you may have spider webs or a mouse something or other blocking the gas jet....I think if you have a copy of the manual, you'll be able to figure it out.

The above link is a good resource for almost all the manuals you'll need. Oh....and FYI.

If your hot water heater is not lighting, it may just need a new thermocouple. Contact your local heating and a/c supply place....I found a universal thermocouple for $5, and replaced it myself. (An hour before, the motorhome store repairman told me he didn't think they made "that kind anymore" since it was an old model, he maybe could try to order something.....but he couldn't guarantee it'd work, and that he'd make me a good deal on the new hotwater heater he had in stock marked down just for me to $350.)

Anyway, you're going to have a ball...Figuring out everything about these little homes is more than half the fun!!!!!

Wishing you the best.

shanda

Sounds like a fun ride! I've bicycled the Pacific Coast Bike Trail 2x now, but it's been 15 years. Going across country however is something I would have really liked to do. Awesome. Now, we never had a nice motorhome to crash in at the days end so lucky you! .... no cheating now. :P Have fun! You're going to meet a lot of great ppl and see a lot of great places.

@ info on toyota RV equipment. You won't find much difference in a toyota Rv compared to your standard motorhome. Any general RV owner's guide or info will be helpful in terms of basic equipment care and use.

Google is your friend.

New RV'ing for Beginners Forum

RV Outpost Forum

National RV Owner's Forum

Beginning RV forum