Water Pump not Working

bckpckr83

I have a SHURflo Diaphragm Pump that's not working. I can feel it getting warm, but nothing sounds like it's moving inside. I checked for kinks, put it's pretty straight forward and looks alright. When I had my Odyssey taken in for electrical work, I asked the guy to check out a couple other things, including the water pump. He turned it on and it started up (no water in the tank) for a couple seconds, then it seemed to seize up, he suggested that when I get water in there and are ready to use it to bang on it a few times :unsure: . Not sure where to go from here, I banged on it a few times with a hammer and it didn't seem to work... maybe just put a new one in (if so recommendations welcome).

Thanks

Janna

They are pretty noisy you would know if it was turning. They come apart pretty easy take the screws out of the top and see if any thing is broken or if there is some thing in it that does not belong to the pump. Maybe it has water in the motor and the bearings have seized. They are not cheap so it's worth taking it apart first.

The pump motors use sintered brass oil impregnated bushings. The bearing oil dries up because of the motor heat and they seize. Use a good penetrating oil on the bushings and turn by hand until it runs free. Then add a good bearing oil, plenty of it. If you got it in time, It should last a long time.

I once had one of those motors seize and burn. I thought I would soup up the pump. I adapted a blower motor from a caddy. When you turned it on the lights dimmed but it pumped up in a fraction of a second. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

There is also the possibility that the impeller got stuck. You say its warm so that does point to the impeller or bearings. If you are going to buy a new one get the quietest one you can afford. I just hate how loud they can be. My wife (Katherine) hates using it after 10pm if we are in a park with others nearby. I tried everything to make it quieter with only little success.

Anyhow if the impeller is stuck I think you could use a small coating of plumbers grease to keep it lubed. The bearings can be hard to replenish with oil. If you can get a new set that would be the best bet.

You need to pull it out and put it on the work bench, if it seized once it will do it again!