Check engine light

mmtoy1

Can anyone tell me how to read the code on this 1987 toyota, do I need a tool I heard guys do it with a paper clip. I am having trouble finding anybody who can do this. The check engine light comes on at about 50 mph and then goes out at 60 or below 50. I dont think it is serious but it is bothersome and I would like to fix it.

mm

Yes, you can use a paperclip to read the codes. The basic steps are:

Extracting Trouble Codes (1987 Toyota):

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON. Do not start the engine.

2. Using a paper clip or jumper wire, short terminals T and E1 of the check connector.

3. Read the diagnostic code as indicated by the number of flashes of the "CHECK" engine warning light.

Your check connector is under the hood near the brake cylindar. The connector has three rows of terminals that look something like:

xxx_x_xx

xxx___xx

xxx_x_xx

E1 is third from the left on the top row, T is second from the left on the second row or:

E1 xxO_x_xx

T xOx___xx

xxx_x_xx

Hope this helps. From your symptom, I suspect you'll receive a code for your oxygen sensor (code 21)

If you need more info on the codes, let me know.

Good luck!

Edited by idtracey

I can not locate the check conector under the hood could it be someplace else. I suspect the o2 sensor also but I was hoping to make sure. If I was to change the sensor anyway would the code clear itself if that was the problem or does it have to be cleared manually.

thanks

mm

It's possible the connector is located someplace else, although most were near the brake cyl on the right hand side. Maybe someone else on here with an '87 can cofirm the exact location.

If you replace the O2 sensor and it solves the problem it will not clear the code stored in memory, but it will stop the check engine light from coming on. The light only comes on when a trouble condition exists, so once the problem is solved you stop seeing the light. If you want to clear your codes, just disconnect the negative battery terminal for about 10 minutes.

Hi, I have an '87 Winnie Warrior and the connector for checking the code is probably be the same as yours. If you're standing in front of the engine compartment, it's on the left hand side close to the battery and relay/fuse box, it will be a small maybe a 1"x2" black connector where it says on the cover "DIAGNOSTIC". At the back of that cover is the legend to what is what on that connector. So just follow the same procedure as what IDTracey have mentioned to pull out codes and same as resetting with the battery.

Hope that help. Good Luck.