Tires

ace

Hi Folks,

OK, here we go again....looking for tires???

Has anyone purchased 185 R 14 load range 'D' from a national chain? I've found some at a couple stores, however; they give me that funny look of "Umm... :sorcerer: they don't make these anymore, but we can get them"! This really meakes me wonder if they have a true idea~~~. I believe 'tire rack' has a good yokohama, but would prefer to buy from a chain that will mount and service if needed.

So if you have recently bought a set, help send me to the store, or maybe offer an alternative that fits right.

Thanks,

Dave

I am having the same problem as you. I have found two sets that will fit the Nankank N810D or the Yokohama Y356 however no one stocks it. Sears gave me a great price on the Nankangs but said they cant get them. Another local tire guy told me even if he got them they would be old because they dont sell. I think you can tell the age from the DOT # but I am not sure how to do it and even if they are new if they have been sitting around it takes the life out of them. Mavis tires sells the Nanknak and will mount and balance them with new valves for about $75 each. They are a chain of tire stores here in NY I dont know if you have them. I think I am going there but first I want to learn how to check the age so I dont buy old tires. If anyone has any better sugestions or can tell me how to check the age I would be greatfull.

mm

To check tire age:

Right next to the DOT is a four digit number. The first two digits are the year, the last two digits are the week of the year; 0625 = 25th week of 2006.

Hi; I bought new 185R14 LT-D tires at a local service center. They are Yokohamas. The shop checked Gateway Tire in Cincinnati and Tire Rack. Found them on Tire Rack and had them shipped from Georgia. Tire Rack has a list of installers all over the country. The cheapest route is to order them from Tire Rack have them shipped to you and take them to a participating installer.

I've heard stories from members about receiving tires which are four or five years old and sold as new. I don't think I'd accept any more than two years old. After the year 2000 the last four numbers after the DOT indicate the week and year the tire was manufactured. ex; 0807 indicates 8th week of 2007. My tires were coded for 2007.

John H

SW Ohio

'86 Sunrader, 22RE, auto

I had a blow out a couple weeks ago and got Lucky I guess got 2 new Nankank 18R-14/8 N810 tires from The LES SCHWAB dealer in Davenport , WA they were the only 2 he had I had considered replacing all 4 rears . HE checked there system and said they had 100 of them company wide and could have them in a few days . As we were on our way home we passed on waiting the rest of the tires are still pretty good . but if you are out west LES SCHWAB has or can get them. :first:

In May 2006 I was able to purchase Goodyear Wrangler 185R14 Load C tires from Discount Tire (Nationwide chain),

and Sears and GoodYear told me they could get the same tire. My tires ended up being 1.5 years old when I received them,

the last number group on the DOT was 4204, for the 42th week of 2004.

Dennis

I bought 6 tires from tire rack and they were within 4 months of manufacture date. Buying from a high volume dealer like them ensures that you more than likely will get fresh tires.

The deal tire rack has with local tire stores for installing is a lower price then what it would have cost me to walk into the same store off the street.

If you have a blow out on the road you more than likely will not find anyone who will have a replacement tire in stock and if they do it will be rather old as this size and load range is rater obscure. So buying from a national chain would be no different than buying from anyone. When you need a replacement you will have a hard time finding it no matter who you purchased your tires from.

Thanks friends !!!

I now have a better perspective about how to go about this. I was biting my tail trying to figure out why the dealers were are so lost when I inquired.

I'm glad 'turtle' gave me the insight about tire racks "fresh tire" thoughts, they do seem to be a bit more educated about my challange. Dealers are asking around $90 a tire and I'm going to go ahead and buy all 6, even though I need only 2. You never know whats on the inside and my DOT says mine are 10 years old anyway.

Best,

ace

Make sure you check your spare.

It should be the same size as what you are putting on new (185 R 14). If it isn't, grab one of the take offs and use it as the spare.

I bought the nankang 185 R 14 N810 in load range D today here in NY at Mavis discount tire. The tires dot date was week 22 of 2008 and they were $100 each for everything mount balance , old tires and tax. I put 4 across the rear. The tire guy put 60 pounds air pressure in them and I was wondering if thats enough anybody know what is the proper inflation for the rear tires.

mm

Max psi for rated load will be printed on the tires just like the manufacture date.

The simple rule of thumb is to stay within 5 lbs of max rated because of the load being carried on them.

The worst thing you can do is run under inflated. Running over inflated (at max recommended) will only make you ride harder, running under inflated will generate excessive heat which can lead to premature tire failure

I purchased Nankangs load range D from Les Schwab, a western tire chain. Nankang is an old well established tire manufacturer who specializes in truck, trailer and performance tires.