Hey all,

looking to swap my front 5 lug wheels to match my 6 lug 1 ton rear wheels on an 83 Toyo Sunrader. 

What do I need to salvage? What should I be aware of? Any surprises that might come up? 

Looking for any advice before I begin the hunt for these parts.

as always thanks!

Able

Just go to Custom and Commercial Wheel, call and ask how much for the AT100F adapters. Then all you need to find is a couple of wheels to fit. Trying to find the whole hub and chance the brakes would be close to impossible and on an 83 a difficult install. You don't need to worry about the adapter adding too much offset because the wheel is mounted so it goes in. Your wheel will still be centered over your bearings. The adapter space is required or your dually wheels would be hitting the truck frame

Dual Wheels — Custom and Commercial Wheel

Linda S

Looks like this place might have wheels

Bridgewater Auto Parts | Bridgewater, MA (car-part.com)

23 hours ago, linda s said:

Just go to Custom and Commercial Wheel, call and ask how much for the AT100F adapters. Then all you need to find is a couple of wheels to fit. Trying to find the whole hub and chance the brakes would be close to impossible and on an 83 a difficult install. You don't need to worry about the adapter adding too much offset because the wheel is mounted so it goes in. Your wheel will still be centered over your bearings. The adapter space is required or your dually wheels would be hitting the truck frame

Dual Wheels — Custom and Commercial Wheel

Linda S

Looks like this place might have wheels

Bridgewater Auto Parts | Bridgewater, MA (car-part.com)

oh cool thanks Linda. Looks much easier than swapping parts..

its been so long since i did my rear conversion i forget so much. the fronts I am looking for are 14x6 -6 lug right? I know 83 was a switch over year … is it only 82 and 83 that fit? .. just trying to think of how to approach a phone convo with the salvage yard and not mess up what im looking for. 

If you're talking about the wheels, they need to be Toyota dually wheels, 6x7.25 lug pattern. If you're talking about the adapter it needs to be 5x4.5 lug pattern to 6x7.25 lug pattern.   i know other places have made then but I don't know anyone near you. Custom and Commercial has been making them for 30 plus years.

Linda S

The key is 6 lug dually wheel. Not regular wheel. 14 inch 6 lug TOYOTA DUALLY

21 hours ago, linda s said:

If you're talking about the wheels, they need to be Toyota dually wheels, 6x7.25 lug pattern. If you're talking about the adapter it needs to be 5x4.5 lug pattern to 6x7.25 lug pattern.   i know other places have made then but I don't know anyone near you. Custom and Commercial has been making them for 30 plus years.

Linda S

The key is 6 lug dually wheel. Not regular wheel. 14 inch 6 lug TOYOTA DUALLY

Got it yes i was talking about the wheels. I saw the ones you mentioned that where on an 83 4 runner. Just wasnt sure how many different 6 lug wheels came out then.

? No 4runners until 1984 so I don't know what you're referring to. No 4 runners with dually wheels either but when looking for engine parts Toyota does mix up their description some. Duallies have to come from 1986 to 1992 trucks. Only place to find them. If searching, it's easier to search 87 to 92. 

Linda S

Able, there are two main ways to approach this conversion.

1)  The hard, but (in my opinion) slightly better way.  You will need a "spy network" to find a donor truck.  Suitable donors are, as Linda said, any 87-92 Toyota RV.  Also there are some utility and haul trucks that were made with full floating rears and dually wheels all around.

I won't go into extreme detail here (unless you ask for more), this isn't a hard approach for a lot of us, but it takes some SERIOUS preliminary leg work.  I think it took me one a year to find the donor truck, and it was my boss that happened to be at the junkyard at the right time and actually gave me the next day off so I could go get everything!  

Why is this better?  It converts the front brakes to larger rotors and calipers and puts factory parts on it.  Again, this is FOR ME.  It only took me about 10-15 minutes a side to strip down and pull everything I needed.  Putting it back together later that night took on my truck was maybe an hour.  

2)  Get GOOD adapters.  The ones Linda posted up look phenomenal.  I suspect the price tag matches too though.  I am going to guess they are $300-400.  Cheap adapters are DANGEROUS.  So you need to be SURE you are getting quality.  These are proven, go with them.  

Both of the above solutions also have a problem to solve, wheels.  You can't find the correct dually wheels easily, and you will need/want 7 matching ones.  The first solution will HOPEFULLY still have a full set of 6, if lucky 7 wheels.  Getting the spare down without the crank tool SUCKS though...  You have 4 wheels, so in theory you just need 3 more.  I mean going through all this trouble and not having a spare is almost pointless.  

Again finding the wheels will take time.  (I do have two sitting here in need of a good home still.)  

This isn't a cheap conversion either.  I did all the work myself INCLUDING mounting and balancing my tires, it was $1300.  This is with me getting tires at cost, pulling all the parts myself, and installing them too.   With the hourly rate for mechanical work climbing up RAPIDLY and most shops now at to over $150 and hour, that's easily $600-800 saved...  This is the point where putting the adapters on would defiantly save money over the front end conversion, if you can't do that yourself.  

Anyways if you are interested in more details of that front end swap, let me know.  It is on my list of things I should do write ups on.     

Edited by thewanderlustking

On 3/15/2022 at 2:08 PM, thewanderlustking said:

Able, there are two main ways to approach this conversion.

1)  The hard, but (in my opinion) slightly better way.  You will need a "spy network" to find a donor truck.  Suitable donors are, as Linda said, any 87-92 Toyota RV.  Also there are some utility and haul trucks that were made with full floating rears and dually wheels all around.

I won't go into extreme detail here (unless you ask for more), this isn't a hard approach for a lot of us, but it takes some SERIOUS preliminary leg work.  I think it took me one a year to find the donor truck, and it was my boss that happened to be at the junkyard at the right time and actually gave me the next day off so I could go get everything!  

Why is this better?  It converts the front brakes to larger rotors and calipers and puts factory parts on it.  Again, this is FOR ME.  It only took me about 10-15 minutes a side to strip down and pull everything I needed.  Putting it back together later that night took on my truck was maybe an hour.  

2)  Get GOOD adapters.  The ones Linda posted up look phenomenal.  I suspect the price tag matches too though.  I am going to guess they are $300-400.  Cheap adapters are DANGEROUS.  So you need to be SURE you are getting quality.  These are proven, go with them.  

Both of the above solutions also have a problem to solve, wheels.  You can't find the correct dually wheels easily, and you will need/want 7 matching ones.  The first solution will HOPEFULLY still have a full set of 6, if lucky 7 wheels.  Getting the spare down without the crank tool SUCKS though...  You have 4 wheels, so in theory you just need 3 more.  I mean going through all this trouble and not having a spare is almost pointless.  

Again finding the wheels will take time.  (I do have two sitting here in need of a good home still.)  

This isn't a cheap conversion either.  I did all the work myself INCLUDING mounting and balancing my tires, it was $1300.  This is with me getting tires at cost, pulling all the parts myself, and installing them too.   With the hourly rate for mechanical work climbing up RAPIDLY and most shops now at to over $150 and hour, that's easily $600-800 saved...  This is the point where putting the adapters on would defiantly save money over the front end conversion, if you can't do that yourself.  

Anyways if you are interested in more details of that front end swap, let me know.  It is on my list of things I should do write ups on.     

Bigger breaks do sound nice! Ok so i think the best plan is to hunt for 3 wheels. I will remember you have two but i do need that third because you are right, it is silly to do this work and not have any spares. Wherever i find wheels is probably a good place to investigate other parts. Hey it might be tough but i found a 1 ton back end and 4 of these only 5 years ago so not impossible. Where about you are in the world? shipping these bad boys probably isnt cheap. 

I am in Florida. I just shipped two out to California for Jimijames. They were a little ove $100 each to ship. I charged him $250 for both. I have two more if you want them, but check around locally first as you can almost bet they will be cheaper!  And again, you probably need three anyways. 

The ones I have are the 6 hand hole wheels. 

Edited by thewanderlustking