Maybe a new owner questions

Franko

I have wanted a toyota RV for a long time and I have finally retired and found one that I may be able to buy. It is 1983 wood frame toyota motorhome and I was wondering what I should be checking on it before I buy it and get a bunch of expensive surprises. I know it needs airbags and the roof used to leak but was repaired with stainless steel. It is supposed to run and drive OK. I think it has 112,000 KM on it.  I honestly don't know anything about campers and the items inside. Any advice on what I should  be looking for when I go see it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for any help!

Frank

First and most important is the rear axle. If you have duel rear wheels with only 5 lugs, the axle is unsafe and will need to be upgraded. This could be a $2-4K expense on top of the purchase price. Other than that, research the archived files on this site for buying. Lots of information available.

• 1 month later...

If you don't plan on replacing and working on things i wouldn't hold my breath on an 83 being good to go.

i have an 86 but very little other than the shell hasnt been worked on or replaced at least once and thats just since I had it for past 14 years